Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help attaching two pieces of plywood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help attaching two pieces of plywood.

Originally posted by Egon View Post

Not splines. Pieces of wood inlaid at right angles to the joint.

What’s impractical with finger joints. They see lots of use in commercial products with being assembled on automated assembly lines.
    Maybe post a picture of what you mean by "Pieces of wood inlaid at right angles to the joint", I think of that as a spline. Despite Wally's tutorial I can't seem to be able to post an image from a web site to show what I think of as a spline. often used to reinforce a mitre joint.

Yes with big industrial equipment you could cut hundreds of fingers precisely in each piece and glue them together although not sure I've seen 8 ft long finger joints even in commercial products, lots of them in 2 by lumber. I guess it could be done but still think the 4 sheet method would give the strongest joint and be the easiest to make.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I’m with Frank’s idea, using 4 sheets of ⅜” laid perpendicular to each other, as even a 1 inch deep seam would not stand up lifting this 8 foot floor to move around, the plywood will split between layers at the seam, same with biscuits, and it will be a difficult big piece to handle and move around.

You do need a smooth flat area to lay the 2 sheets down, spread the glue, then position the other 2 sheets, nail it so they will stay put, then dump a load of sand or gravel on top to get pressure over the whole area, can be done, but they have to work fast.
      Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-08-2019, 03:48 PM.

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

If this is something that you will just walk on and you don't really care how it looks... People that put tiles put the plywood down with a thin coat of clue that they spread evenly using that special tooted trowel and then put screws every 6 inches in a Square pattern.

If it's something for furniture then you can complicate things all you want. But if you ever tried to take out a tiled floor and the sub floor you will find out that it's stout.

Comment

How about a different approach like this?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	634201_04212197_001_m.jpg?0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	1258045

https://www.lowes.ca/product/osb/193...r-panel-634201

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post
            If this is something that you will just walk on and you don't really care how it looks... People that put tiles put the plywood down with a thin coat of clue that they spread evenly using that special tooted trowel and then put screws every 6 inches in a Square pattern.

If it's something for furniture then you can complicate things all you want. But if you ever tried to take out a tiled floor and the sub floor you will find out that it's stout.
            The OP wants to have a PORTABLE FLOOR, so maybe for a stand where he is selling stuff, and then be able to load it up to bring to the next place where he is setting up his stand and he does not want to walk around on the mud or wet grass or what else the place might be.

This is a whole lot different from a floor in a house or shop, though I must admit that the OP has not explained why or how he is needing a portable floor for .

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	361B9DBE-0052-4322-9FFB-E2DE8F6A01ED.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	308.5 KB ID:	1258053Click image for larger version  Name:	D294CCD2-E9DF-4471-BFE2-9890A3805452.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	745.8 KB ID:	1258054
              Inlaid strips of wood. Placed on both sides of the plywood.

There would also be a scarf joint that could be used or a wide lap joint.
              Last edited by Egon; 11-08-2019, 05:19 PM.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

The OP wants to have a PORTABLE FLOOR, so maybe for a stand where he is selling stuff, and then be able to load it up to bring to the next place where he is setting up his stand and he does not want to walk around on the mud or wet grass or what else the place might be.

This is a whole lot different from a floor in a house or shop, though I must admit that the OP has not explained why or how he is needing a portable floor for .

Figure out what he wants... I guess... The reason why I used Tile flooring common practices is because those floors can't move.

Comment

Working...
                X