"snipe" in middle of board while planing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "snipe" in middle of board while planing

I have a RYOBI AP-10 that has served me well for over 10 years and I bought it used. Just recently, I have begun getting random snipe-like inconsistencies across the full width in the the middle of the board. I have changed knives, cleaned the rollers, actually removed the rollers to inspect the compression springs thinking one may have broken...springs appeared OK. I am stumped. Any ideas?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: "snipe" in middle of board while planing

Maybe post some pictures. There's a good tutorial on how to do it in the tutorial section, I think the guy's name is Wally . Could be just some odd grain running the wrong way. Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around, lots to learn and share here.

Comment

Is there a pause,or inconsistency in the feed rate when the " snipe" appears?

Comment

the drive chain is likely skipping
        check the drive sprockets for wear, at that age, the chain is very likely stretched due to wear and is skipping on one of the sprockets
        stotto likes this.
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Maybe look at the rollers. They could be wearing down.

also make sure the roller spring mechanism can move freely.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Try waxing the bottom plate of your planer. It might be that the boards are catching and that will definitelly cause snipe.

Comment

Is the snipe always the same distance from the end of the board or is is random?

Comment

Thanks all....I do not notice any speed change. It is randomly spaced throughout the entire board. Happens on all species that I have tried since the problem started...hickory, red oak, pine. I have had the chains off to inspect the compression springs (which were not broken and do move freely) and I do not have any missing teeth on the sprockets....the chain does not appear to be stretched as I had all I could do to get the master link on. Have not waxed the bed as yet but will do so. Will get some pics too.

Comment

Are they long boards and are they solidly supported for the total length. If they are long and they bounce, you will have random snipe in the board.
                  John
                  Paul O in Paris and Egon like this.
                  If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Could there have been debris stuck to the back side of the board?

Comment

I had a similar problem many years ago with a DW733 and, as John points out, the boards needed support on the infeed and outfeed sides. A couple of simple adjustable roller stands fixed that problem.
                      Also I had been trying to manually support the outfeed side, but it only worked sometimes. I guess my hands weren't as steady as I thought lol

Comment

OK...really tough to get lighting perfect to take good photos depicting the snipe....but here some are.....look carefully! As info,these pieces happen to be about 26-32 inches long. Look at upper right of first picture and you can see a corner of the laminated supplemental support that matches planer roller height (on both in feed and out feed) I use at all times....when doing longer than 6 foot pieces I have roller stands. Boards are clean. These were planed after I waxed the bed. Snipe occurs at random intervals between 6 and 9 inches apart. I am baffled...I have planed hundreds, if not a couple of thousand, of board feet of mostly oak, with this little machine and this stuff just started....maybe it is telling me it's another planer's turn??

Comment

There's many things that contribute to snipe. If you planed thousands of Board feet out of that machine it might be the rollers that are no longer gripping correctly. Do they feed at a constant rate???

Comment

Take the blade carrier up all the way and put a straight edge from infeed to outfeed edge and see if you have any gaps or sags.

Comment

I'm not sure how the machine is built, is it possible you are getting play in the table support mechanism or the head due to wearing bushings etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X