Biscuit joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biscuit joints

Does anybody know how strong a Biscuit joint is???

Just wondering.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Biscuit joints

What application do you want to use it?

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I am using it to keep chess boards aligned on the endgrain

Comment

Do a test and see for yourself,
        I can imagine a lot depends on the wood around it, is this a single biscuit or 2 side by side, many of my biscuit joints are using the biscuit as a locator only to stop the wood sliding when glued together, are you saying a biscuit joint or how strong is a biscuit, try snap one its easy with the grain but not across the grain, these days I make all my own biscuits and orientate the grain in the direction I want the strength, then it depends on the wood around it and the glue you use, I have never had a biscuit joint come apart but then I do my construction in such a way so as allow for what I perceive to be acceptable for a biscuit, of course there are 3 sizes you can buy and recently I made some that were the biggest the machine would cut for, before I had a biscuit machine I would use a winged router cutter and make the loose pieces to suit the router cutter.
        If I am using a biscuit as a locator to prevent the wood slipping on the glue as I cramp it I may not even put glue on the biscuit
        Its a bit like choosing a screw or a nail you wouldn't expect a panel pin to do what a 6" nail will do and visa versa.

Comment

chairs? no
          kitchen cabinets? sure!
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

They won't keep a joint from splitting due to wood movement.
            redlee likes this.

Comment

I've used biscuit joints primarily to align surfaces but as long as its not structural (load bearing) it shouldn't be an issue, for chess boards I would think a biscuit joint would suffice.

Vince

Comment

If the glue joint is long grain to long grain then the biscuit strength is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
                  They won't keep a joint from splitting due to wood movement.
                  My thoughts is that I will be using the same wood throughout the chess board so it will all move at the same rate. I will need to spline and make a bread board for the end pieces maybe but all the rest I think will be fine. That's my thinking anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

My thoughts is that I will be using the same wood throughout the chess board so it will all move at the same rate. I will need to spline and make a bread board for the end pieces maybe but all the rest I think will be fine. That's my thinking anyways.
                    I've made chess boards (out of 2 types of wood, light and dark, ie: maple and walnut) and you don't really need to worry about the board moving just try to make sure all the grain is in the same direction which basically comes naturally due to how they are constructed. But, for the chessboard surround I suggest a picture frame type edging with mitered corners. I see no need for any biscuits in that build.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post

I've made chess boards (out of 2 types of wood, light and dark, ie: maple and walnut) and you don't really need to worry about the board moving just try to make sure all the grain is in the same direction which basically comes naturally due to how they are constructed. But, for the chessboard surround I suggest a picture frame type edging with mitered corners. I see no need for any biscuits in that build.
                      I built them using Cherry and Mapple and they all split. So that's why I want to put in two biscuits per row.

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

I built them using Cherry and Mapple and they all split. So that's why I want to put in two biscuits per row.
                        I'm not clear on this. Do all the squares have the grain running in the same direction, or do they criss-cross with one color running north-south & the other running east-west?

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                          , these days I make all my own biscuits and orientate the grain in the direction I want the strength, then it depends on the wood around it and the glue you use, I have never had a biscuit joint come apart but then I do my construction in such a way so as allow for what I perceive to be acceptable for a biscuit, of course there are 3 sizes you can buy and recently I made some that were the biggest the machine would cut for, before I had a biscuit machine I would use a winged router cutter and make the loose pieces to suit the router cutter.
                          If I am using a biscuit as a locator to prevent the wood slipping on the glue as I cramp it I may not even put glue on the biscuit
                          Its a bit like choosing a screw or a nail you wouldn't expect a panel pin to do what a 6" nail will do and visa versa.
                          I would love to know more about making biscuits. Do you have beech in NZ?

Comment

Not to insult your intelligence, but the way you make a checker board is to cut strips of maple and strips of walnut (for example). Glue the strips together alternating woods, all the same grain direction. When the glue is dry, cut the boards in strips again in the other direction (so each strip alternates colors). Then offset those strips again to create the checker pattern. Glue again. Trim. Enjoy!

Comment

This is a checkers board. I made this one years ago. A checkers board is 10x10 and a Chess board is 8x8
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X