Simple, 30 minute project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple, 30 minute project

I make wine. I have 30 gallons of wine ready to put in barrels. I needed barrel stands for my barrels. So I got the best "1/4 sawn" pine I could find at Home Depot and made 2 stands out of it. Took all of 30 minutes for both. I used a wire to get the proper radius for the barrel, which turned out not to work very well, then transferred that to a paper template. Once done I went back and forth a few times to correct my radius, then duplicated it 3 more times. The cross braces are friction fit. I got the general angle of the barrel by dropped my sander table about 20 degrees and sanding the bevel. It went quick since I used a new belt and it was pine. Stands are solid and will hold up for a long time.

You might remember I was thinking of making a wooden "box" for the wine. I got the below 10 gallon barrel for $100 (x2) instead.

Egon, Bob just past Ayr and beachburl like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Simple, 30 minute project

Looks good Bob you gotta like those quick projects that turn out the way you want, are you planning on putting wheels on them?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by VincentC View Post
      Looks good Bob you gotta like those quick projects that turn out the way you want, are you planning on putting wheels on them?

Vince
      No these will go in a plastic container for the 1-2 months the wine is barrel aging. Once I bottle the wine, I'll use these stands to display the barrels probably on my bar top or the floor next to it.

Here's the containers and the barrels swelling to seal.

Comment

Any 30 minute project I've ever started took about 3 hours.

Noel
        Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Nice stands, where did you find barrels for $100?
          beachburl likes this.
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
            Nice stands, where did you find barrels for $100?
            A local whisky distillery sells these after one use. My Homebrew store gets them and passes the deals onto their customers. $100 for the 10 gallon ones and $70 for the 5 gallon ones. It's a great deal these are $300 new.

They just bottled a batch when i drove these home you could almost get drunk off the smell coming off them. What a fantastic smell!!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
              Any 30 minute project I've ever started took about 3 hours.

Noel
              Ha! Yep I hear you. I procrastinated and needed these stands done "right now". So good enough was good enough.

Comment

Nice! I guess judging from the grain that's southern yellow pine?

Comment

Working...
                X