Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    Nice! I guess judging from the grain that's southern yellow pine?

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    Originally posted by beachburl View Post
    Any 30 minute project I've ever started took about 3 hours.

Noel
    Ha! Yep I hear you. I procrastinated and needed these stands done "right now". So good enough was good enough.

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerome View Post
    Nice stands, where did you find barrels for $100?
    A local whisky distillery sells these after one use. My Homebrew store gets them and passes the deals onto their customers. $100 for the 10 gallon ones and $70 for the 5 gallon ones. It's a great deal these are $300 new.

They just bottled a batch when i drove these home you could almost get drunk off the smell coming off them. What a fantastic smell!!

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied
    Nice stands, where did you find barrels for $100?

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    Any 30 minute project I've ever started took about 3 hours.

Noel

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    Originally posted by VincentC View Post
    Looks good Bob you gotta like those quick projects that turn out the way you want, are you planning on putting wheels on them?

Vince
    No these will go in a plastic container for the 1-2 months the wine is barrel aging. Once I bottle the wine, I'll use these stands to display the barrels probably on my bar top or the floor next to it.

Here's the containers and the barrels swelling to seal.

Leave a comment:

• VincentC
    replied
    Looks good Bob you gotta like those quick projects that turn out the way you want, are you planning on putting wheels on them?

Vince

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    started a topic Simple, 30 minute project

Simple, 30 minute project

I make wine. I have 30 gallons of wine ready to put in barrels. I needed barrel stands for my barrels. So I got the best "1/4 sawn" pine I could find at Home Depot and made 2 stands out of it. Took all of 30 minutes for both. I used a wire to get the proper radius for the barrel, which turned out not to work very well, then transferred that to a paper template. Once done I went back and forth a few times to correct my radius, then duplicated it 3 more times. The cross braces are friction fit. I got the general angle of the barrel by dropped my sander table about 20 degrees and sanding the bevel. It went quick since I used a new belt and it was pine. Stands are solid and will hold up for a long time.

You might remember I was thinking of making a wooden "box" for the wine. I got the below 10 gallon barrel for $100 (x2) instead.

Working...
X