plywood warp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plywood warp

im planning on building a router cabinet as i already have the top courtesy of Humberman. My concern is that i will buy the plywood from Peacock and its stored in an outside none heated shed and i will be bringing it into my basement shop which is normally around 70 how quickly will it start to warp, i will have Peacock cut the plywood to manageable size for my vehicle as i'm not comfortable cutting full sheet on my table saw.

Thanks

Allan
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: plywood warp

Allan, I've only seen plywood warp on a rare occasion and that is normally because the plywood is poor quality with voids in it.
    If your getting it cut into smaller pieces you should be ok, I would take it into the basement stack it and put weight on it to hold it flat and let it acclimatize to the new humidity and temperatures.
    Hopefully others will chime in to give you a few more options.

Vince

Comment

You are talking about building a cabinet. I am going to assume that the plywood will be for the sides and shelves etc. Why is there so much of a concern for warpage? The only real surface that you need to be concerned about is the router table top, and I wonder if making that out of plywood is what your wanting? would not some form of phenolic be more appropriate?

Depending on the design, I have had plywood with a degree of warp and it is pulled in quite well back to flat in the construction process.
      Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

thanks Vince for the info re stacking and acclimatizing to the temp. and humidity.

Matt as my post says i have the top for the cabinet quite well made i might add, i was more concerned with the plywood for the cabinet it self, as i have had plywood warp on me but over a long period of time in my shop and it wasn't cheap wood but thanks for the reply.

Allan

Comment

You probably won't have any problems but this is where particle board has an advantage.
          billh

Comment

Working...
          X