Question- Full Overlay Hinge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question- Full Overlay Hinge

Building some garage cabinets. (11/16" MDF light). The hinges I have call for a 35mm hole. On my test piece a 1 3/8" F bit hole seems to be a tad large making the hinge kind of sloppy. They aren't big brand name just off shore hinges from Amazon. I bought them because of price.

Should I be concerned about the hinge not fitting tight in hole? Is there something I should do to seat hinge better in hole? Dab with a hot glue gun? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1270659
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Question- Full Overlay Hinge

You need to spend your savings on a 35mm Forstner bit.
    John
    If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Also according to the diagram, do I assume correct the center of the 1 3/8" hole should be 21mm -23mm from edge of door,

Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1270671

Comment

Originally posted by John@Hamilton View Post
        You need to spend your savings on a 35mm Forstner bit.
        John
        1 3/8" Irwing Forstner bit = 34.925 mm
        I'm not sure why I would want A 35 mm bit
        Last edited by Dave Kor; 02-13-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kor View Post
          Also according to the diagram, do I assume correct the center of the 1 3/8" hole should be 21mm -23mm from edge of door,
          Yes, that's correct. 20.5-22.5 mm from door edge. You might want to try a test door to understand how much adjustment range the hinge gives you before deciding on a final number.

Plus, how sloppy is the hinge fit? If you've got 1+mm of slop, how you position the cup in the hole will impact the adjustment range, too.

Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

You will find the hinges from new are set in the center of there adjustment range so unless you have moved the adjustment screws you will have a small movement each way.
            A test door is a good idea if you aren't familiar with there working but use 2 hinges as if you are using the real door it will help you understand, you only need to use 2 scraps of wood or MDF 4 or 500mm long unless you have something the same as the doors.
            I usually leave a margin between the door edge and the hole of 4mm, with that wide mount that fixes to the frame keep the hinge up from the bottom and down from the top far enough that the mount clears the frame at top and bottom.
            As for hole size, if you do a sample with the drill you have you will see if all is working well or if the cup is sloppy in the hole or if the pivot by the door edge is binding on the hole.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Easy peasy https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...pean-hinge-jig
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

You could wrap some teflon tape around the barrel if you feel the fit is to sloppy. I've done that in the past and it works well.

Vince
                Redneck Albertan likes this.

Comment

Working...
                X