working with lexan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working with lexan

I am trying to build a dust hood for an overhead collection on my tablesaw . I am useing 3/16 lexan and have a few questions
    I am wondering if anyone has ever run the edge over a jointer. I am looking to get a real smooth edge for gluing the side pieces on
    Can you cut it with a 40 tooth blade on a tablesaw
    i plan on using Methene chloride to weld the piece together
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: working with lexan

Yes no issue running through your jointer however to achieve a perfectly smooth edge, you need to run it very slowly. It wont blow up or do anything crazy if you go to fast, just that you will see the knife marks. You need to aim for something 20 cuts per inch or more. I have cut it on the table saw and it cuts well leaving a decent edge but I normally use a basic combination blade. I would think a good finishing blade made for laminates would leave a pretty good edge but something in the 60+ teeth.

Lexan is good to work with and so much nicer to cut and work then the brittle plexiglass which cracks and chips very easily but it also has the benefit of being much more scratch resistant.

WCraig likes this.

Comment

Lexan will stress crack if you’re Fasteners’s are too tight.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by akuntz View Post
        I am trying to build a dust hood for an overhead collection on my tablesaw . I am useing 3/16 lexan and have a few questions
        I am wondering if anyone has ever run the edge over a jointer. I am looking to get a real smooth edge for gluing the side pieces on
        Can you cut it with a 40 tooth blade on a tablesaw
        i plan on using Methene chloride to weld the piece together
        Does Methylene Chloride glue Lexan together by melting it?

Comment

Cut close to size on the table saw(within 1/16") 40T blade cut quality will be because of feed speed(slow enough not to chip & fast enough not to melt) less teeth means easier to chip. Run edge on jointer reasonably slow to clean up the saw marks on the edge, sand edge, flame with torch to make clear and glossy again. That was the procedure we used for retail display panels. Happy Wednesday.
          Last edited by Maxwell; 02-18-2020, 10:10 PM.
          schor likes this.
          https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

Once you get it put together you can make the exposed cut edges clear by running the heat from a propane torch along the cut edge.

Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

So I found it at a place called Plasitcs PLus in Edmonton. Brand name is Weldon. Weldon3 is the real thin stuff that uses an applicator bottle and Weldon 16 is a thicker one. I bought all 3 just in case. it will take a bit to get it here. I will post results
              thanks all

Comment

Cut some 1/4" Lexan at work on Friday, used a 120 tooth aluminum blade with a negative rake angle.
                Feed speed was still slow, about as slow as when you cut solid surface, but the quality of cut allowed for skipping the jointer.
                Went straight from table saw to sanding.
                Have a great week.
                https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

I cut lexan with a 60 teeth blade, be careful, when it grab get out of the way. You have to raise your blade about an inches above your piece to have the right angle cut. You can cut it also on the band saw with a fence and then use the jointer a to have a nice edge like rangerdave1 said, but don't stop or it will leave a mark. Take light cut. Use Weldon 16 but make sure it for lexan, usually the tube is blue, also read the instruction, use in a well vented area, use latex glove. That stuff can cause cancer.
                  Make yourself a jig to hold your pieces square when gluing, you don't have much time before it's set.
                  Woodyboy

Comment

Working...
                  X