Coffee tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee tables

So I come across this job to build matching coffee and end tables.
    The customer likes old rustic look and specifically asked that the tops be individual plank like the way a hardwood floor looks.
    My question is, if I wanted to make it a solid glued together top is there a way to make it look like individual planks after being glued together?
    I suppose I could slightly chamfer the corners off before glueing but that seems like it would be pretty difficult to keep the joints perfect.
    I’m all ears on other ideas.

Thanks
    Colin
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Coffee tables

Could you source some actual used/rustic hardwood flooring planks? Then just assemble them tongue-in-groove (leave out nails)?

Comment

Do a proper glue up and use a v shaped or other router bit to make shallow groves where you want them. They don’t have to be on a joint.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
        Could you source some actual used/rustic hardwood flooring planks? Then just assemble them tongue-in-groove (leave out nails)?
        I had thought about this idea, thought about glueing hardwood floor to a sheet of plywood, but then I don’t know what I would do around the edges that would be durable.

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
          Do a proper glue up and use a v shaped or other router bit to make shallow groves where you want them. They don’t have to be on a joint.
          This was my top thought, but I was worried it would look tacky.

Comment

Perhaps a thin veining bit and then fill with caulking. Experiment on some scrap wood and let the customer decide.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Redbull1989 View Post

I had thought about this idea, thought about glueing hardwood floor to a sheet of plywood, but then I don’t know what I would do around the edges that would be durable.
              A breadboard edge would work. Also I'd be concerned if you are going to butt these without glue in case something is spilled on the table.

Comment

If he wants it to look like Flooring I would use 3/4 Flooring and put a breadboard on the ends. I don't even know if I would even use glue. Maybe on the wood pins but that's it. It sounds to me like they almost want it to have splits in the middle of the boards so give them what they want and flooring already has the tong and grove to it so even if it splits a little it's still going to be pretty good.

I remember a few years ago somebody wanted a coffee table that looked like an old crate so I put a raised panel in a pinned door frame and put legs on it. That's what they wanted so that's what they got.
                Last edited by bogmer; 03-08-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X