Material thickness for drawers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material thickness for drawers

I am building a kitchen island that is going to have two large drawer,approximately 35" w14h x 22 deep.
    any undermount slides I have looked at call for maximum 1/2" sides. My incra system does not have a template for 1/2" dovetails,does have 3/8 I believe,but am concerned that may be too thin.I will be using hard maple.
    thoughts?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Material thickness for drawers

I use Blum undermounts and use a 5/8 thick drawer material. The Blum site gives you the different measurements based on the thickness of your drawer material. Using 5/8 you have to ensure the screw head does not protrude beyond the side of the drawer guide. With 5/8 material your drawer width is 3/8 less than the opening. Length is based on the slide you are using
    Wally in Calgary likes this.
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Have you thought about using the sides that are intergrill with the slide then you only need a front back and bottom, I installed 2 draw units last week that had big draws in them they used the pressed steel drawer sides with the runners built in they looked good, I did wonder how long they would last??

Comment

I made pot and pan drawers that size a few years ago with 1/2 poplar. They have held up well. I think 3/8 maple would be ok.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen
          i will check and see if I have a 5/8 template for the incra.
          they really want the maple ,with dovetails and undermount slides.the wood was harvested from thier farm

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
            I am building a kitchen island that is going to have two large drawer,approximately 35" w14h x 22 deep.
            any undermount slides I have looked at call for maximum 1/2" sides. My incra system does not have a template for 1/2" dovetails,does have 3/8 I believe,but am concerned that may be too thin.I will be using hard maple.
            thoughts?
            I have used Salice under mount slides and those are good with 5/8" thick sides as well and the drawer width should be 3/8" less than the inside of the cabinet.

This is just my opinion. A 14" high drawer is too tall. At 35"w x 14"h x 22"d your drawer might feel too heavy using hard maple. It might feel too front heavy as well. I would try to make the rear of the drawer as thick as I could to counterbalance the drawer once pulled out.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
              thoughts?
              Al:

I built my kitchen cabinet drawers with 1/2 maple and used the Porter Cable jig to cut the dovetails. Please let me know if you want to borrow it.

The drawers are installed on Blum undermount slides. I have the drilling jig that you could borrow as well if you decide to use Blum.

Regards,

J.
              Attached Files

Comment

Al, I wouldn’t go thinner than 1/2” for your drawer sides. Those are big drawers and you’ll want some mass to keep them from looking like they don’t belong in a dollhouse. As far as weight balancing? It’s a non-issue with good hardware.

Comment

Working...
                X