Egg Drying Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Drying Rack

The wife asks for a egg drying rack, she gets an egg drying rack.

Made from walnut and birch. Finished with cutting board oil. I was originally going to do curved legs. But once I cut out the blocks for the legs I decided to keep it plane and rectangle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200316_204739.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1274398

Name:	20200316_204934.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1274399

Name:	20200316_204842.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	1274400

Name:	20200316_204922.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	1274401
    Chimera, Wally in Calgary and 3 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Egg Drying Rack

He looks good Brian, but I never seen one before, so why or what is it used for, you don’t wash your eggs are you ??, inquiring minds like to know
    John@Hamilton likes this.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Great rack !! I wish I'd had something like that when we kept laying hens. These days, we are washing everything, but with only two of us that might be overkill now I like the contrasting woods.

cheers
      scroudt likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
        He looks good Brian, but I never seen one before, so why or what is it used for, you don’t wash your eggs are you ??, inquiring minds like to know
        We have a handful of our own chickens. Eggs last far longer when they aren't washed. But you don't want to use them with out washing them first. Even though we only have 7 chickens currently, they still lay almost every day. Which is too much for us. So we sell a dozen or 2 occasionally. Don't want to sell dirty eggs. Normally you'd just set the eggs on a towel to dry, buy my wife requested it. And I like justifying my shop time with something nice for her from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
          Great rack !! I wish I'd had something like that when we kept laying hens. These days, we are washing everything, but with only two of us that might be overkill now I like the contrasting woods.

cheers
          Was going to make it hold 24, but after I cut the walnut I realized I cut it long enough for 28. My hole cutting test board was only 3 across which messed up my length measurement. Figured instead of wasting nice expensive walnut I may as well do 28 holes.

Comment

Beautiful work and the proper attitude towards one's partner.

I keep laying pullets. Eggs arrive covered with "blush", this seals the egg shell and keeps bacteria out. Unwashed eggs can be kept on the counter for up to one month, once washed they must be kept in a refrigerator or will spoil. Most of my eggs come out of the nest without any obvious "dirt", a few do not and this usually indicates that the nests have droppings from the pullets and need to be cleaned - a great warning system. I replace the straw and am back to clean eggs.

If one wants they can wash the shells just before use.

Nature's way is most often the best. Just sayin'

Edit after seeing the response above: I sell eggs to friends, I tell them that they are not washed and explain the rationale. In my experience no-one objects as they are very happy to get fresh eggs rather than what is available in the stores.
            Last edited by TedBrown; 03-17-2020, 08:44 AM.
            scroudt likes this.

Comment

Thanks Brian, yes I thought that I remembered that eggs were not to be washed, we did have chickens I remember and then later White Geese, but thats more than 60 years ago by now, so I wasn’t sure about that.

And now I wonder if you will get rings on the eggs where they contact the wood, as capillary action and surface tension will hold more water at that spot, anyway the rack does look good and I hope it will work well for you.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Hey Brian and Ted,

Do you candle your eggs? When I was keeping chickens I had a tin can with a light bulb in it and a leather egg seat on top for candling. It was very effective and we used it for every egg even though very few were rejected for sale. We didn't worry about blood spots in the ones we ate. We just picked them out.

Comment

Nice! This is giving me some ideas for a deviled egg holder.

Comment

Hey Brian and Ted,

Do you candle your eggs? When I was keeping chickens I had a tin can with a light bulb in it and a leather egg seat on top for candling. It was very effective and we used it for every egg even though very few were rejected for sale. We didn't worry about blood spots in the ones we ate. We just picked them out.
                    We don't. Think out of all the eggs I've eaten I've only gotten 1 blood spot. That was when they just started laying.

Comment

Originally posted by scroudt View Post

We don't. Think out of all the eggs I've eaten I've only gotten 1 blood spot. That was when they just started laying.
                      Do you have a rooster? We had a Plymouth Barred Rock rooster .... stood about three feet tall. We called him Lucifer ... for good reason. We kept an old cane at the door to the chicken shack and when we'd go in to collect eggs, Lucifer would go running in .. to protect them I guess. The cane was a "distance keeper" sometimes used with a light smack! to reinforce the distance. I think he was the reason for most of our spotting. My cousin had the same basic hens we did, but no rooster and no spots.

Comment

Do you have a rooster? We had a Plymouth Barred Rock rooster .... stood about three feet tall. We called him Lucifer ... for good reason. We kept an old cane at the door to the chicken shack and when we'd go in to collect eggs, Lucifer would go running in .. to protect them I guess. The cane was a "distance keeper" sometimes used with a light smack! to reinforce the distance. I think he was the reason for most of our spotting. My cousin had the same basic hens we did, but no rooster and no spots.
                        We actually regrettably offed our big rooster yesterday. He was a Lavender Orpington. His name was John Snow. He was great for awhile but all of a sudden started getting a little too protective. If it was just me and the wife we could deal with it. He attacked our oldest and left a puncture is his leg. Then, day before yesterday he pounced our 3 year old. Not a good thing when the rooster is 3/4 the size of our son. Luckily He wasn't hurt, just scared. He was a very good looking rooster but could do some pretty good damage to young kids. Hopefully the other rooster stays nice.

Comment

We actually regrettably offed our big rooster yesterday. He was a Lavender Orpington. His name was John Snow. He was great for awhile but all of a sudden started getting a little too protective. If it was just me and the wife we could deal with it. He attacked our oldest and left a puncture is his leg. Then, day before yesterday he pounced our 3 year old. Not a good thing when the rooster is 3/4 the size of our son. Luckily He wasn't hurt, just scared. He was a very good looking rooster but could do some pretty good damage to young kids. Hopefully the other rooster stays nice.
                          Should have named him, "Dinner". I hope he was tasty!

Comment

That is NOT the John Snow in my signature.
                            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Very nice looking rack!

I like all the stories your post prompted as well.

Good show

John

Comment

Working...
                              X