Kauri table build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kauri table build

Another giant step forward, I did get 4 pieces at 3.2 mm to laminate the table legs with, I need 8 pieces for the fronts and backs, I have one glued to a leg now, it will be one a day for the next 8 days, I also have the next block being put together.
    The 3.2 thickness is the minimum the Dewalt thicknesser will go to, I thought I would have to slow down the feed speed but not so maybe the helix head makes the difference as I got a very good finish.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I can't understand why I am taking so long to do this but I can now see the end of this table build, there are however 2 more to do for the wood owner, I have enough kauri left to make a coffee table and enough macrocarpa to make an outdoor table both will be simpler than the first one.
      I spent a lot of time positioning the top of the legs to fall on the corner of the table this was dictated by the length of those curved rails that are near the bottom of the legs and it being all curves had me scratching my head I did it twice as I was not happy with the first positioning, I now have a veneer (not really a veneer as its 4mm thick) on one side of each rail and have created a very good fit to the back of the leg the tenon is left loose so I am able to sand that 4mm to fit the back of the leg, when all the leg fronts are veneered I will be able to determined the tenon length to suit the wedge then I will glue them in, its difficult because nothing is ridgid.
      The dowels are 28mm I made on the lathe and will be glued into the top, the hole in the top of the leg is again a socket I made on the lathe, when the legs and rails are finished you will not see any of the ply wood core.
      I did also turn a plate see wood turning.

Comment

I have 2 more pieces to glue on, now I have started to put it together and see I have got those joints looking good, all those days are worth while, I have the tenons to glue in and the dowels to glue to the top.

Comment

I think this would have gone quicker Bob, if you had used an Ikea kit.
          And the grain would have been consistent.
          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
            I think this would have gone quicker Bob, if you had used an Ikea kit.
            And the grain would have been consistent.
            Next time, if there is a next time, why would you want the grain consistent, this is wood not plastic.

Comment

Wow is all I can say.

Comment

I had the Osmo oil out yesterday it was around 3 pm that I was wiping it onto the 4 legs and the rail, we are at the end of our autumn and starts to cool rapidly at 4pm the night temp got down to about 5 degree so this morning the Osmo was not dry, I put the pieces out in the sun for a while and they felt much better by the end of the day.
                I glued together the 2 pieces of rail using 2 home made biscuits, I set the biscuit machine to cut as deep as possible giving me a biscuit of 38mm overall so 19mm into each side I used a 4mm piece of wood that gave me short grain so there is no chance of it breaking then used epoxy that I colored to match the wood, the tenons are glued in using colored epoxy too.
                I was feeling concerned that there was not enough contrast between the 2 lighter woods on the legs but now with the Osmo oil on them I am pleased.
                I had the owner here a few days ago, he was looking happy with what he saw.
                The next photos will be of a fully assembled table I hope.

Comment

Finished, I finished it, Its all had 2 coats of osmo oil and feels silky to touch, I was a little concerned that it would not slide together so well with the osmo on it but the concern was ill founded.
                  I have started an outdoor table and a coffer table for the same people so there will be no hibernating for the winter here.

Comment

That is truly one of a kind. That is true craftsmanship there Bob and even though it's not for everyone I can really appreciate the design aspects. I never pushed myself that far to accomplish something like that but it's really nice to see that some do. Everyone sees things differently and that's what makes it all go round. LOL.

Comment

Awesome table Bob, especially that top, thanks for showing us your work

Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                        "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Everything sure came out nice Bob. Congratulations! Considering the pictures you originally posted of the wood, that is a masterful achievement in every aspect.
                          I love the subtle colours and it seems the Osmo oil just highlights the contrasts enough to very aesthetically pleasing (to my eye at least).
                          That sheen is perfect too. Makes me want to reach over and pass my hand over it to appreciate it more.

Paul
                          Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 05-23-2020, 08:56 PM.

Comment

That is a masterful combination of engineering and wood working.
                            Rob

Comment

Very nice Bob, love the border on the table top and the fancy work on the legs. A truly inspiring piece. Thanks for sharing not only the finished product but your thoughts and steps through the entire build.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X