Using pine in place of oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using pine in place of oak

Thats looking great, someone is going to be very happy with you. A couple of tips, or not depending on your view point.

You cut tenons in your slats, the next step is to cut mortises to take them, alot less work and stronger construction than slots and spacers. If your a hand tool devote you can chop them with mortising chisels, or for a small investment get a mortising attachment for your drill press.

The other item is screwing battens across the grain of a glued up panel (the seat), unless you allow that panel to move you can crack the battens or the panel itself, I learned that the hard way many many years ago in a rocking cradle I made for the young one.

Heres a few tips from a very old book to solve that problem and allow the panel to move. I can't quite see the detail but you may have already allowed room for those screws to move on the battens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1276098
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Great information, thanks! I did not allow for movement, I will revisit my design. I do have a mortising jig for my drill press but the drill press itself is quite worn and would not produce accurate results. I should invest in a new one just to dedicate to the jig for future projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Fir-minator View Post
        . I should invest in a new one just to dedicate to the jig for future projects.
        If you are saying you might dedicate a new drill press to mortise and tenon, think further. Instead, consider a biscuit joiner, a Trend M&T jig; any one of numerous router based jigs, or go for first class and get a Festool Domino. Also, if your pieces are fairly straight, you should have no need for the "wedge kinda spreader things." Or why aren't your pipe clamps handling that?

That's a really first class bench set shown.
        Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Very nice! I would suggest a whitewash finish.

Comment

I just put the spreaders in to hold the spacers between the slats in place until the glue set. Just to put a small amount of pressure on them.

I have been looking at several types of jigs for cutting M/T. What I really want is a mortise jig for my router. Simple enough to build and there are countless examples and how to videos available. Most could be purchased for a reasonable cost as well from a manufacturer such as Trend but on some of the videos I have seen, they show some degree of clean up required on the shoulders of the tenons. Since dialing in my cross cut sled, I can achieve perfect shoulders on all of my tenon pieces with no touch up required. I will likely keep making my tenons this way but would like to have a jig for mortises.

I think a white wash would serve this bench well. I think my wife has a plan of cream with antiquing accents, we shall see!!
            WoodBob likes this.

Comment

Here's a plan for a mortising jig you may not have found yet.

Mortising Jig.pdf

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks Carlos, I do like the self centering aspect of this jig. Looks like a nice project.

Comment

Another note on this bench build. All of the material used for this build was picked from a very nice pile of fence boards at Rona. I originally went looking for select pine and what they had was all twisted and warped. I took a walk through the yard to and found the fence boards and started sorting. I think I used about 15 boards total to build the bench so about $60 tax in plus $20 iirc at Lee Valley for the hinges. I had the beaded pine left over to make the panels from a reno I did in the house in Jan., that is why they were primed to start with. I guessing about $100 all in for the bench. Learned a lot, thanks to all for letting me tap into your expertise on this build!

Comment

Working...
                  X