What kind of glue do you use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of glue do you use???

I use titebond 3 mostly because it dries clear and some glue I used in the past when it dried it looked like Bird excriment on my outdoor furniture.

What wood glue do you use and why???
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What kind of glue do you use???

I also use tite bond 3,it was advised here when I asked ,it's avaliable locally,and works
    bogmer likes this.

Comment

I also use mainly Titebond 3, bought a big jug on sale when I needed waterproof glue and still working on it. Don't use enough glue to justify stocking more than one type of wood glue. Also use some epoxies (5 min and regular), some CA glue and construction adhesive.
      bogmer likes this.

Comment

How effective is CA Glue??? I always wondered if I should stock some.

For me a gallon of Titebond 3 can last me a month or a year really depends on the projects down the pike.

Comment

I was a Titebond ||| user for a long time. I have experienced glue lines appearing on flat surfaces weeks after the surface was finished. This was a problem created by sanding the surface as soon as the glue dried. Every time you apply glue to a clamped joint the moisture in the glue causes the wood to swell which results in a slight rise in the wood around the joint. You sand this top right away and the joint appears flat. Over a period of a week or less that joint will dry out and the wood shrinks leaving a slight valley which stands out like a sore thumb, damhikit. Reading on wood web there was a long discussion of the merits of Titebond Original in avoiding this problem. The strength of all the pva glues are very similiar. I would be using Titebond ||| for exterior surfaces. I now use Titebond Original.
          bogmer likes this.
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Old brown hide glue mostly.
            bogmer likes this.

Comment

Lee Valley cabinetmakers glue 2002 GF - It's a PVA, but I like the high solid content, used for general woodworking
              Gorilla Glue - a polyurethane thats used for my outdoor projects.
              Hide glue - when I have a complicated glue up and need more than 15 minutes to get everything clamped up.
              Epoxy - the 5 min. stuff used for all kinds of things
              Lee Valley chair doctor glue - this has come in real handy to get into narrow cracks because of its low viscosity.
              bogmer likes this.
              Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

I use tb3 almost exclusively. I have had the glue creep problem that Brian describes once, and it was very frustrating. Further, I have found that on outdoor weather exposed projects, tb3 really sucks. Overall, however, I've found it's strengths to far outweigh those weaknesses, and it's just not worth it for me to stock more than one kind of glue.
                bogmer likes this.

Comment

Mostly Titebond II, but there are tasks where I use other products a more complete list is as follows:
                  + Titebond II
                  + Old fashioned Elmer's white glue
                  + Various epoxy products
                  + Thick CA
                  + Thin CA
                  + Weldwood contact cement
                  + Hide glue (it has been a while since I have used this)
                  + Elmer's glue sticks
                  + 3M Super 77 spray adhesive

There may be others that I am forgetting that come up from time to time for some specialized task. While they all may not be used on wood to wood joints they are all used in my woodworking shop in some capacity.

Being a luthier I probably should be using Titebond I, but have never made the switch. I started out using II and just never switched even though I probably should. Maybe next bottle I will. If I do, I'll keep some II on hand for other non musical instrument stuff.
                  Last edited by Pete Staehling; 03-21-2020, 06:09 AM.
                  Kayak Jim and bogmer like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Staehling View Post
                    Mostly Titebond II, but there are tasks where I use other products a more complete list is as follows:
                    + Titebond II
                    + Old fashioned Elmer's white glue
                    + Various epoxy products
                    + Thick CA
                    + Thin CA
                    + Weldwood contact cement
                    + Hide glue (it has been a while since I have used this)
                    + Elmer's glue sticks
                    + 3M Super 77 spray adhesive

There may be others that I am forgetting that come up from time to time for some specialized task. While they all may not be used on wood to wood joints they are all used in my woodworking shop in some capacity.

Being a luthier I probably should be using Titebond I, but have never made the switch. I started out using II and just never switched even though I probably should. Maybe next bottle I will. If I do, I'll keep some II on hand for other non musical instrument stuff.
                    Spray adhesive is a life saver when you need it. I use it to put on felt backs to game boards or insert fabrics in drawers. My local store doesn't stock Titebond products so I end up using other name brand glues at times. I buy a small bottle and then I test it to make sure it's not one that dries white.

Comment

I will use Titebond III if I am gluing dark woods as I find it dries dark brown. If I am using a light coloured wood for segmenting I will use Titebond Extend if I need the extra time before it tacks up. I recently tried some Gorilla white glue (PVA I believe). It dries very clear and seems to work as good as the Titebond products. Gorilla is readily available at the local hardware store where Titebond is not.
                      bogmer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post
                        How effective is CA Glue??? I always wondered if I should stock some.

For me a gallon of Titebond 3 can last me a month or a year really depends on the projects down the pike.
                        Don't use a lot of CA glue and have had an issue with the glue drying out in the bottle or the spout. Usually for non stressed repairs where I need a quick fix. One other "glue" although technically not a glue is Bondic the UV curing plastic glue. Used it a few times for home repairs not woodworking related with good results.
                        bogmer likes this.

Comment

Yellow PVA. Currently Titebond original but whatever I find the best deal on. I buy by the gallon which lasts about a year. I dispense into a couple different smaller glue bottles. Shelf life in the gallon jug seems very good even when only partially full.
                          bogmer likes this.
                          Cheers
                          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                            Yellow PVA. Currently Titebond original but whatever I find the best deal on. I buy by the gallon which lasts about a year. I dispense into a couple different smaller glue bottles. Shelf life in the gallon jug seems very good even when only partially full.
                            If you are anything like me you have 10 smaller bottles all over the shop but when you need to glue something up you can't find it and end up using the gallon.

Super good trick to fill up smaller bottles.

Comment

I use Titebond Original and III for the majority of woodworking; Titebond Original and CA (various viscosities) for model building and toys; various epoxies for wood to metal and similar, the type depends on the job at hand; CA for pen finishing; Barge cement for leather to wood and rubber to leather bonds; Contact Cement on rare occasion; Spray adhesive and UHU glue sticks to mount patterns and templates for scroll sawing and such; red and blue Loctite; LePage PL Premium Max for decking, bird houses and other outdoor stuff where the squeeze out doesn't matter too much from an aesthetics perspective; plus some other specialized adhesives for plastics and metals.

Titebond III is my current favourite outdoor glue and for darker woods indoors.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X