Board width for glue up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board width for glue up

im glueing boards for drawers today.material is flat sawn air dried hard maple,3/4" thick,finished height will be 12"
    board widths are random up to six inches. I am wondering if I should rip the six inch wide in half,flip and glue?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Board width for glue up

Personally from an appearance standpoint I prefer as few boards as possible. However if you are using various widths to make up the 12 inches then for consistency there is no harm in ripping the 6 inch board. I would strive for some consistency in all the drawers, such as 4 pieces of 3 inches or 3 of 4 inches. A lot will depend on the grain match and glue lines.

Comment

short answer No. I just bought 780 bf of kiln dried 4/4 hard maple for drawers. The lift is all between 8 to 10 inches in width and certainly will not be ripped. I assume you will be applying what ever finish on both sides of drawer material. I don’t even worry about board width in table tops. The important thing is to apply finish evenly on both sides.
      Brian
      John@Hamilton and the_other_ken like this.
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I always liked to cut my boards to smaller pieces and glue them back up to make panels. I know it's a little more work but I sleep better at night when thinking of the possible warps that could happen.

Comment

100 percent what Brian said. As long as the boards are in the 8 to 9 percent mc range. You will have then secured on both ends at the corners. As long as the air can get around to both sides you will be ok. so they should be finished equally on both sided if you are gong to finish them
          Murray
          Brian @ Muir likes this.
          This wood is all clear between the knots.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray in Toronto View Post
            100 percent what Brian said. As long as the boards are in the 8 to 9 percent mc range. You will have then secured on both ends at the corners. As long as the air can get around to both sides you will be ok. so they should be finished equally on both sided if you are gong to finish them
            Murray
            With flatsawn boards the expansion is different from one side to the other which causes boards to warp. I am positive that you could get away with it once in a while but you could end up with a drawer that will jam closed and worst case could blow up the drawer frame. Nothing stops wood movement not even a solid connection.

Comment

In the 15 years that I have been building kitchens and conservatively 3 kitchens a year. I use Blum undermounts and as I use 5\8 drawer material which leaves me with about 1/8 inch clearance on each side of drawer between that and the gable. I have never had a drawer problem in the 15 years. I rely on good practices to avoid any problems.i do a lot of drawers in my kitchens. The job on the go at present has 29 drawers in the 4 vanities alone.
              Brian

Comment

Glue up is done,just went with the random widths,was rough cut so I just cleaned the edges to whatever they cleaned up to with a glue line ripping blade,staggered the grain and glued them.Didnt worry about matching widths or grains or colours,it is what it's is,and I'm sure they will look nice sanded and clear coated.
                thanks for all the insight

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                  In the 15 years that I have been building kitchens and conservatively 3 kitchens a year. I use Blum undermounts and as I use 5\8 drawer material which leaves me with about 1/8 inch clearance on each side of drawer between that and the gable. I have never had a drawer problem in the 15 years. I rely on good practices to avoid any problems.i do a lot of drawers in my kitchens. The job on the go at present has 29 drawers in the 4 vanities alone.
                  Brian
                  Best practice is to use rift sawn or quarder sawn lumber. Flat sawn lumber isn't best practice.

Comment

[QUOTE=bogmer;n1275019]

Best practice is to use rift sawn or quarder sawn lumber. Flat sawn lumber isn't best practice.[/QUOTE

obviously I am waisting my time , you gotta be kiddin , quarter sawn for kitchen cabinets drawers.

Brian

Comment

[QUOTE=Brian @ Muir;n1275052]
                      Originally posted by bogmer View Post

Best practice is to use rift sawn or quarder sawn lumber. Flat sawn lumber isn't best practice.[/QUOTE

obviously I am waisting my time , you gotta be kiddin , quarter sawn for kitchen cabinets drawers.

Brian
                      Your advice worked for me,you answered my question and it made perfect sence to me,so it's not time wasted.
                      thank you

Comment

Best practice is to use rift sawn or quarder sawn lumber. Flat sawn lumber isn't best practice.
                        I’m curious what flat sawn lumber is used for in that case... other then quartered oak, I rarely find quarter sawn wood other then the random piece in the stack which I would certainly never use for a kitchen drawer

Comment

Originally posted by rangerdave1 View Post

I’m curious what flat sawn lumber is used for in that case... other then quartered oak, I rarely find quarter sawn wood other then the random piece in the stack which I would certainly never use for a kitchen drawer
                          Most of the lumber out there is Flatsawn...I was stating "Best practices"

The sides of Flat sawn lumber are rift sawn. It's what people call straight grain. Best practice is to cut away the "cathedral" grain in the middle and use the sides. Let's face it most don't use best practice rules.

I personally love the look of cathedral grain and will often resaw them into 1/4 or 1/8 inch and use them as raised panels in chests or book match then as a veneer front on raised panels on cabinets.

Comment

I booked matched the front panel of this chest to give you an example of what I am talking about. Most of the rails and stiles are straight grain except that from left one and see if you can find the panel I screwed up on for the book match. Really beat myself up over that one panel.

I also use Flat sawn lumber on Chess boards because when you build it you automatically need to switch the grain patterns...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Most of the lumber out there is Flatsawn...
                              The sides of Flat sawn lumber are rift sawn.
                              i respectfully disagree on the second statement.Rift sawn is lumber cut at 90 degrees to the logs radial rings,of witch you may see two flat sawn boards out of a log that match that description.

Comment

Working...
                              X