Building Octagonal Picnic Table Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Octagonal Picnic Table Questions

I'm building an octagonal picnic table which for anybody who has ever built one knows that there's some inherent difficulties to it when building a sturdy frame. Two of the frame members can interlock with a half lap joint and the 4 others are floating in the air.

I wanted to know ways to attack these 4 frame members in the middle. This table will end up in a commercial setting so it needs to be sturdy. I will be making plans on sketchup probably today to try and visualize the problem better let me know if you need to see what I am talking about.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Building Octagonal Picnic Table Questions

use a disk of pressured treated plywood top and bottom of the joint and if you have a hole in the middle they can put an umbrella through it also. Also, make sure the legs are splayed enough so it does not flip when people get up from the other side my dad built one and did not think of this.
    bogmer likes this.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Here's some Sketch up pictures to show my problem more in debt.

The Green are the two frame members that have a Half lap I didn't separate them in the second pictures to show it but I think that is pretty obvious what it is.

The Blue are the two frame members that are floating on the end where the table meet with everything.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
        use a disk of pressured treated plywood top and bottom of the joint and if you have a hole in the middle they can put an umbrella through it also. Also, make sure the legs are splayed enough so it does not flip when people get up from the other side my dad built one and did not think of this.
        I have no idea how it would work with the design I am making. I know that I make round picnic tables with a double frame which has room in the middle to have the umbrella.

I just have a hard time visualizing it.
        Last edited by bogmer; 03-25-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

If this picnic style table is for indoor/sheltered use you can use a pedestal centre so that you could mortise the other four members individually.
          bogmer likes this.
          My brain hurts!

Comment

Heres another idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCI03252020_0001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	1275598
            bogmer likes this.

Comment

something like this

Name:	IMG_0277.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1275618
              Just as strong and get rid of unnecessary joinery.
              Attached Files
              bogmer likes this.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Wooden wagon wheel hub? Different ways this could be configured.
                https://www.google.ca/search?q=woode...WgO3MR5-7FMeHM
                Last edited by Egon; 03-26-2020, 08:39 AM.
                bogmer likes this.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I guess alot of it depends on how finely built a piece of outdoor furniture your customer is willing to pay for. You can do a basic or crude table pretty cheaply if thats what they will take.
                  bogmer likes this.

Comment

something like this

This is one version that would be quick, easy and very sturdy.
                    bogmer likes this.
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

something like this

The more I look into it the more it looks like putting a plate on top and bottom is the way to go. It seems like the standard way people build these. I think I will still go with the frame that crosses the middle just because it will give it a little more strength and piece of mind for me. This is going to be set up at a Veterinary Hospital so who knows what will stand on this table.

Here's what I think I will end up doing on both the top and bottom of the two frame parts. The square will help line up everything.
                      Attached Files

Comment

As for the leg placement. I have no idea how bad the lever action will be to tilt the table. The standard in picnic tables seem to be at 22.5 degrees... Probably because there's a mechanical stop at that angle on chop saws or that it's pretty easy to calculate cutting a 45 in half.

Anyways... What I am trying to say is that the leg is under the front board of the bench but not the back one. I guess I will not know until it's built but I am wondering if it will end up being a problem with table tilt.

On a normal table the legs end up near the back of the seat and doesn't protrude past for a tripping danger.

The joy of working with sketchup... Shows you potential pitfalls before. I highlighted the leg in yellow
                        Attached Files

Comment

IMHO I think the seating is going to be a problem. At first I was wondering if there was going to be enough space for legs once seated and how people were going to use the supports as leg rests and to push themselves off of to get up, but then the more serious problem was that everyone was going to have to lift their legs over the bench to sit and how they would have to squeeze to get the second one in past the support while bending it. This won't be suitable for very many people. Too young, too old, too big, too grumpy, disabilities, women with skirts... getting up might be a problem too. There is a risk of loosing balance and falling backwards if your foot gets caught. I think it would be much better if there were openings for each person so they could take their seat in a normal way.

Not a safety issue but personally I like the idea of straight planks for the top with two rows of octagon shape planks along the edge that follow the seating arrangement.

Since it will be placed at a veterinary hospital perhaps it would be appreciated if there was a post or two nearby strong enough that pets could be attached to.

Comment

Instead of putting the bench boards completely across the openings between supports just make a seat at the end then they can stratal the brace but be able to get in without having to lift their leg over the bench.
                            Jerome
                            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

I will give you a little background. I mentioned the entire putting your legs to sit at the table. I build round picnic tables where there's open seats and I tried to push them... I almost doubled the price of the table because I built these and really don't like to but the client wanted the octagon table so they are going to get it.

What I am saying is this is what the client wants... NOT what I would build for myself. I got a round table like the one in the picture. I also built an other octagon table I have a picture of that one too I can see that I added an other row of 2x6 material all the away around it too and I remember that one I needed a flat bed trailer to deliver it.

Comment

Working...
                              X