Hall Table Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall Table Reborn

In April 2001 I designed and built this Shaker Hall/Sofa Table for our son and DIL. In July of 2016 they suffered a devastating house fire in their 1890s farmhouse and the table which was in the rear entry not far from a kitchen door had severe smoke and humidity damage. The kitchen was totally destroyed with the fire starting in an adjacent family room. I had used Pocket Screw construction and that allowed me to completely disassemble and sand down the top, legs, end panels and rear panel. This was my first Covid-19 Isolation Project started in March and delivered last week. A restoration company lost a drawer when it was given to them to have a try at cleaning, so I made a new front panel, drawers and internal supports. I had finished with hot Boiled Linseed Oil and no matter how much I sanded I could still smell the smoke. When I had posted originally at CWW someone suggested the table would never withstand the rigors of kids climbing on it etc. in a young household. Two kids came along subsequently, one awaiting the startup of driver centres again to get his beginners and the second a teenager to be in August. Every joint was as tight as the day it was made, withstanding the humidity of the fire and storage in their barn for almost three years. I sealed inner surfaces of reused pieces with shellac and refinished as I had originally using Home Hardware Double Boiled Linseed Oil, rubbing after cure with 0000 and wax. In 2002 I had submitted it to Danny Proulx when he made a request here for projects as he was working on a book of Pocket Screw Projects for Popular Woodworking. He accepted it and incorporated as a project for serious workers. I finally met him at a Toronto Woodshow and got my copy. Sadly he was gone in what seems a short time after.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Hall Table_IMG_7160 cropped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	1282591Click image for larger version  Name:	Hall Table Firre_IMG_6961.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	1282590
    Last edited by Mike Brazeau; 05-08-2020, 01:29 PM.
    Paul O in Paris, PeterTZ and 2 others like this.
    Mike
    www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Hall Table Reborn

Wow ... that second photo is very sad. I had a hard time looking at it, but having seen it, I can see how well you did to restore it. Very nice !! Having it back should mean a great deal to them. I hope nobody was hurt in the fire!

cheers

Comment

Well done and great story of resilience.

Comment

All that because of a lousy woofer, eh Mike.
        Nice recovery.
        Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

You did a really nice restoration Mike. Congratulations!
          I can empathize with John's statement about the second photo as many years ago I had a contract with an insurance company to restore fire/smoke/water damage in a small apartment complex after a fire. It was sad enough seeing the damage to people's prized possessions but actually dealing with the people was heart-wrenching.
          Shellac is wonderful stuff for sealing in the smoke smell. It took a month or two for the smell of burnt materials to exit the shop though.

Paul

Comment

Not an experience any of our family want to relive. Fortunately no one was injured. If it had happened at night, I hate to think of the possible outcome. My original post that summer is at https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...red-sub-woofer

This is a composite of things I had made for the kids. Have rescued the bowls and a small lidded box for my grand daughter think I will redo with some apple wood I have dried from a tree they took down. After almost four years of sitting in my workshop and an attempt a couple of years ago to refinish the box still has a smokey smell to it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3427.JPG Views:	0 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	1282828
            Last edited by Mike Brazeau; 05-09-2020, 09:17 PM.
            Mike
            www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X