Name:	20200508_134051.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1282623Click image for larger version

Name:	20200508_133959.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1282624 Hello all
    It's been ages since I posted a project here. I started this morris chair nine or ten years ago and put it on the shelf, because of other hobbies and interests.I had done a few small projects here and there but pretty much had left things behind. Anyway, I started cleaning up the garage a bit and one thing led to another and I am closer to having this done. It was originally going to be all white oak, except for the back which was from red. I used up some of the white oak I had over that time period and did not have enough to complete the chair. I did have some really nice rift/quartersawn red oak though, and decided to just use up what I had to finish this. I know, it is a bit of a sin to do this, but I was wood rich and not cash poor but didn't want to go out shopping for QS white oak.The joinery is all loose through tenons done on a morticing machine I built years ago.In the pics, they are sticking out as this is a dry fit.They will be flush with the legs when glued up.I know, this is not traditional either, but they will be just as strong.I will likely have to experiment with finishing to get the red and white oak to match up. The arms are ready to cut the angles to sit on the front legs, and that will be a challenge. Will share more as I get it sanded and glued up.
    John Bartley, Kayak Jim and redlee like this.
    See ya
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Covid morris chair

They say good things come to those who wait... that looks better than good!

great work, look forward to seeing finished product.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

Looks great.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

And here's a song just for your chair! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQvaBOuvAs
        Bob just past Ayr likes this.

Comment

Looking good Bob, please post a completion photo..............Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Will post more once done. Really, all thats left is the arms, and thats the trickiest part of this project.I dont have a bandsaw, but am thinking I could build a temp jig to set the arms at the slope angle and then cut the flats one saw kerf at a time to produce the flats.
            See ya

Comment

Toolfan, you made my day.I lean more to angry metal music, but there is nobody like the Cashman. I am still chuckling.
              See ya

Comment

That's a nice chair... I kind of jealous I don't have one.

Comment

I used to have a sign:
                  "All things come to he who waiteth.

If he worketh like hell while he waiteth."
                  Last edited by beachburl; 05-09-2020, 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
                  John Bartley likes this.
                  Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Bob in Windsor View Post
                    Will post more once done. Really, all thats left is the arms, and thats the trickiest part of this project.I dont have a bandsaw, but am thinking I could build a temp jig to set the arms at the slope angle and then cut the flats one saw kerf at a time to produce the flats.
                    Do you have a hand saw?

Regards, Rod

Comment

I assume both top and bottom of the arms has the same angle? The top can be done on the jointer by supporting the back end at the finished height and then run just the front end across the jointer until you have the necessary amount removed? Once the top is flattened at the correct angle you can flip it over, set the arm on that flat on a radial arm or mitre saw and then cut the kerfs on the bottom, parallel to the top. (I hope that's not too confusing)

Just an idea.
                      Last edited by John Bartley; 05-09-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I dont have a bandsaw to do this. I could start kerfs on tablesaw then handsaw the rest with a thin kerf dosuki or similar.I did not consider a jointer. Some sort of sled with a router might work also. I only have two boards left if I screw it up lol.
                        See ya

Comment

Sorry Rod, thought that read bandsaw. I do not have a decent handsaw to do this well. Also, I am a machinist, so I think like one and while that is good in some instances, it is not in others, meaning I sometimes overcomplicate things.
                          See ya

Comment

Sorry Rod, thought that read bandsaw. I do not have a decent handsaw to do this well. Also, I am a machinist, so I think like one and while that is good in some instances, it is not in others, meaning I sometimes overcomplicate things.
                            I hear you Bob, I do that as well.

Hand saw, block plane.......KIS. Rod

Comment

Working...
                            X