Garage door???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door???

One of the projects I have to do is make new garage doors for the shop, I was planing on carriage doors, but we have a short driveway and to able to open the doors I would need to move the car, so I had a great idea just to build a regular roll-up door.
    Have any of you built your own?
    where can you get the hardware?
    any hints or tips would be appreciated and please don't tell me just to buy one I can get anything close to the look I want.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Garage door???

Have you thought about a barn door style?? The hardware is readily available and the doors are easy to build.

Comment

Definitely haven't built one, but it is just a bunch of frame and panels. I suspect one of the difficulties would be a lot of massive glue ups with many mortise and tenons. Epoxy or polyurethane glue would be beneficial. You would have to figure out the weather stripping situation between rows. Maybe there's a special type of weather stripping for this.

This was an entertaining watch:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5NBde_Acs0

Edit: and I'd probably go right to a garage door manufacture/dealer to find the hardware. No way around that.

Comment

You can find an old door and repurpose the hardware from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Garage door hardware is available at most hardware stores and if they don't have it on display they can order. Our Home Hardware keeps a selection of repair parts in stock. Parts and accessories can also be had from Garaga, but you may have to order thru' a dealer : https://www.garaga.com/ca/garage-door-parts

Comment

Thanks, everyone
            I don't any place to slide a barn door. and they are hard to seal tight.
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

I would just suggest buying one. I know you won't have the satisfaction of saying you made it but in reality you will probably spend more time figuring everything out and it might be a lot more expensive to build one yourself. Wood has to be heavier than the sheet metal so the spring has to be bigger and everything needs to be stronger.

Plus you might never get the gaps right and the maintenance would be astronomical compared to a sheet metal door.

Comment

If your not adding a electric door opener you could also go with counter weights to assist with opening instead of using the wound springs. But that requires some room on each side of the door frame for the weights to travel.

Paul

Comment

I used to assemble and install garage doors for a few years.

I would suggest trying to buy just a hardware kit from home depot. Last I checked they sold CloPay doors. Clopay are excellent quality, especially when it came to the hardware. Everything is straight, smooth and heavy gauge.

If you try to piece together the hardware, make sure to get the correct hinges. The hinges are different for every panel as the hinge point/ roller guide is further from the door the higher up it is. There will be a number stamped on the hinge, with 1 being your bottom panel.

I would also suggest getting the hardware and designing the door to fit. It would suck to build your panels, then find you have a hard time finding the proper radius tracks.

Try looking at different panel cross sections to see what style of joint between panels is easiest for you to make. They all follow the concept of water having to travel up hill to get through. I find weather stripping incredibly exspensive, but concrete expansion gasket material is cheap.

Instead of going on forever, feel free to ask me any questions. No promises that I'll have an answer as its been a while since I had that job!
                  callee and Scott Walsh like this.

Comment

Do you need multi panel doors or could/would you build a single panel door and still roll it up on tracks?

Comment

Thanks, Jason I will take you up on this it's still a ways off, I'm just getting all the information together.
                      Beaverfever1988 likes this.
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                        Thanks, Jason I will take you up on this it's still a ways off, I'm just getting all the information together.
                        Years ago --30+ -- I made a 9' wide door for a garage that I built and it lasted me for yrs. until I sold. I used 1x3" strips of pine ply that I came across that was nice and light. I doubled them up and lap joined the corners. I skinned it with fir 1/4" ply (painted) and filled the voids with blue styrofoam. I had 3 cross braces per section (lap joined) and 4 sections for an 8' door. That might have been less to fit the hardware. It's hard to recall exactly. The finished door was 2" thick and was very well insulated. I remember putting a slight angle on the bottom and top sections of the door so any moisture would run out. I also used black foam WS in between the panels where they met. This allowed for a little expansion and contraction. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Comment

Working...
                        X