Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Blades

Hi All,
    Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers! I am in the market for two new 10" TS blades. I want a good rip blade and a decent cross cut blade. I am not made of money but I value the opinions of members. I was in HD in Woodstock yesterday but I was not interested in 2 Avanti blades for $39.95! I am looking for something that will give a good finish cut.

Thanks,

Ron in Woodstock
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table Saw Blades

Just a hobby woodworker but I've always had good success with Freud and CMT. I know they make several grades of blades, one of the Freuds is marked Diablo and all but one has the red coating and all are made in Italy.

Comment

Hi Doug, same here - just a hobby woodworker but I have a cheap ($60) blade with a chipped tooth. I also have 2 Combination blades and a Delta Cross Cut blade. The Delta was a special offer somewhere ($30) so I am cheap!! I looked at the Freud Industrial at Busy Bee but I am not sure, hence my request for members opinions. Thanks for your comment Doug.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron, woodworking is my main gig these days and I have high quality, dedicated rip and crosscut blades, but the one that stays on my saw the most is the Woodworker II. It's good for 90% of my use and I now own two so I can have one available for use while the other is off getting sharpened. It saves a lot of wear on the expensive, purpose built blades. It's available from Lee Valley and though expensive, it ought to be a lifetime investment.
        Ken in Regina likes this.
        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Hobbyist here Ron. I have several makes of blades, but when I want really nice clean cuts I use an FS Tool ATB w/Raker. I have had it many years, had it sharpened a couple of times and as long as the wood is clean and the blade is handled carefully it lasts a long time between sharpenings. For cutting non-ferrous metals (Aluminum/Brass) I use a Freud blade designed for that application. It has also been great.

https://www.fstoolcorp.com/share/SECTION-E.pdf

cheers
          Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

I would get an FS Tools 50 tooth combination blade for crosscut and ripping around an inch thick and a 24T FTG from them for heavy ripping......Really nice made in Canada blades, Royce-Ayr is another such Canadian supplier.....Regards, Rod
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

If you want good quality cuts on both rip and cross cut then you need two separate blades.

A rip cut has flat tooth on them some might have a flat tooth followed by a tooth that has both edges cut off. If you are going to do joinery then you want a rip saw that has flat tooth that give you a flat cut.

A cross cut blade has spiky teeth to the edges designed to cut though the fibbers of the wood. It will keep tearout at a minimum because at the point of the initial cut you only have the tiniest point of a knife cutting though it. Doesn't mean it doesn't create tear out because it could but it minimises it. A good cross cut blade will have serious problems rip cutting. It will take a lot of power from your machine to rip cut using a Cross cut blade.

They sell general purpose blades that has a cross cut tooth in between Rip cut teeth. They works but they don't work as well as having two separate blades. I usually have a glue line rip blade on my table saw. I have to go slowish on the feed rate because it's a glue line blade but it give me a clean finish. Mine is a Royce blade that cost me like 60 bucks or something like that. Table saw blades are not that expensive. I chose a rip blade because my chop saw has a quality Cross cut blade on it and I do most of my cross cuts on the chopsaw.

The only "General purpose" blade I own is a Dato stack by Freud. I needed a dato stack and the only store that had one was Canadian Tire and they sold a 8 inch Freud that I never regretted buying.... Well unless I needed to do a cut a grove that needed a 10 inch blade but there's ways around that.

Comment

Yeah, anyone who knows me knows that I can often try to get away with doing things as, um, economically as possible. Not that Mrs. Callee calls me a cheap skate or anything, but I do have a bit of a phobia of high prices.

So for years I just couldn't stomach the idea of spending a huge amount of money on blades.

So I kept buying these "good deals" and hoped that I'd strike it luck and find the diamond in the rough, or whatever.

I have a stack of Freud's, and various other box store blades. I kept buying them, each time thinking "maybe this one will be better" . I think the blue tornado from busy bee was the best of the lot, but in the end I had to admit that I was still disappointed.

Then I finally called up FS tools. I had a great conversation with a tech there, and they took account of my cutting needs and the type of cutting I mostly did, and then recommended two blades, one for ripping one for cross cutting. I forget the exact price, but each one was more than $100 but less than $200. I waited till I was next in the city and then drove over to their location and picked them up myself just to save on the shipping costs - even when I'm finally splurging I still need to be a bit cheap!

That was a few years ago, and I've never bought another blade since.

I do have a nice stack of big box store blades that are sitting collecting dust though.

Comment

Agree with the above posters on blade selection, a few years back I believe Fine Woodworking compared sawblades and a Freud Fusion was there best value winner. I purchased it and it wasn't cheap but it has served me and my underpowered saw very well. It has been sharpened a few times and will generally provide an acceptable glue edge. I also purchased a rip blade of similar quality and have no regrets. There are many quality blades on the market and like you and a few other posters I have a frugal leaning but have never regretted paying up for a quality blade.

Comment

i bought two really nice blades from master finishing around new years.
                    very happy with the blades and the quick service

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-blades-needed
                    Last edited by stevem; 05-10-2020, 03:04 PM.
                    my shop is a beaver lodge
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Not to high Jack the thread but I have similar issues. A very old General 250 saw with a very old 1hp motor. Never been happy with its ability to rip boards. Some years ago I bought a CMT blade from Elite tools. Still find it only marginally better. I’ve explored repowering with a 3hp motor but wondering your thoughts on trying one of these FSTool blades first. If I could rip 20% more I’d be happy. Don’t really want to spend big bucks on a new motor. In10-15 years when I retire I’ll probably get a new saw.
                      incidently I also bought a Freud Diablo for my miter saw and it is awesome. I’ve had it for years, use it a lot and still marvel at how we’ll it cuts. Maybe I need to find a Diablo rip blade?

Comment

Ron, like Brent I have a Woodworker II blade that I absolutely love and it stays on the saw for most cuts except sheet goods and really rough rip jobs. I bought it when living in the USA and have had it over 20yrs now, but getting it sharpened is a bit of a hassle. Forrest blades need a special sharpening machine and not every sharpening service has one. My nearest place is Hartech in Cambridge. If you are thinking about one of these blades you should probably check the nearest service place to you, it will be on Forrest's website.
                        My understanding is that FS Tools blades are just as good as Forrest and are easier to get sharpened when needed.

Comment

Paul, just curious, what is it about Forrest blades that requires a special machine?

Comment

Thank you to you all for your advice and suggestions, very much appreciated.

Ron

Comment

Ron,
                              Have a look at post # 19 at the thread link that stevem also provided above (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...s-needed/page2). There's a list of a number of blades that I had looked at. As Brent and Paul state above, the Woodworker ll seems to be the blade that everyone compares theirs to. I think Hartech in Waterloo (aka Sonny's) still sharpens the Forrest Woodworker ll blades but I'm not certain if they are still a factory approved sharpener (if not, they used to be). Lots of choice out there. As I state in the post, I was leaning towards an FS blade, but then bought the Freud P410 due to price mostly (maybe penny wise and pound foolish?). The Freud does a great job so far, but then it is still new.

Comment

Working...
                              X