Incra Ibox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incra Ibox

Any Incra Ibox users on the forum? If so, I'd like to hear your opinion(s). I personally have found it to be an incredibly frustrating experience. I'm wondering if it is just me.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Incra Ibox

I have one which I have only used a few times. I recall you need to be disciplined in marking the pieces to ensure you end up making and equal number of mating pieces and you need to make a few test pieces to tune it in. What kind of issues are you having?

Comment

I can NEVER get the pins to match the tails. Not even close. I have watched every Youtube video I can find several times. I have followed the written instructions that came with the jig to the letter. I can't even come close to making it work. My latest effort, today, was a complete disaster. The pins were twice the size of the tails.

Comment

Like I said I've only used it a few times and that was last year. I didn't have any problem maybe someone else on the forum with more experience using it can help. If the pins and tails are out by a factor of 2 that should have an obvious fix. Have you tried contacting Incra for help? Good luck.
        Slanted7 likes this.

Comment

I just started using mine yesterday. So far I've cut the sides for 8 boxes and while I did have a couple minor issues, the fit seems accurate and consistent. If your pins and tails are out that much you need to start fresh and redo the setup and kiss calibration. Maybe even double check it's put together right - I can't see how that could ever happen.

My 2 issues were as follows..

1) Had a couple of cuts that weren't to full depth (noticed upon dry fit). Easily resolved by a second cut which is simple to re-align. Easily prevented by double checking that the workpiece is down all the way (You can even make a pencil line along the top of the jig when you put a new piece in so you can verify it's correct with each cut)

2)When I clamp with a small hand screw as they suggest, it sometimes pulls the piece out of square with the fence. I shimmed the front guard/clamp of the ibox with a couple pieces of tape which helped to square it up, and changed my clamping routine a bit which has helped, but it could still use some improvements. The slight out of square to the fence creates a tiny gap between the workpiece and the sacrificial backer and in turn I am getting a very small amount of tearout.

Feel free to message me if you like - maybe I can help you figure it out!
          Doug G likes this.

Comment

2 boxes.. I've only cut sides for 2 boxes so far ;)

Comment

A friend of mine who recently got one of them wrote an interesting article for our woodworking association's blog about his trials and tribulations with the jig. As I understand it, he's figured out how best to use it and is now a convert to the system.

All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
              - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

I have had mine a couple years and I do get good results. I have done about 20 drawers with it, I just did 7 last weekend and I am happy with the fit. I simply follow the instructions for setup, do a test cut and tweak the silver knob as necessary. On this past weekend the initial setup worked perfectly with no need to adjust the silver knob at all to tighten/loosen the fit.

Comment

Gentlemen:

I appreciate all of the feedback. I guess I'll start again from scratch and hope for the best. If you read about a great explosion northeast of Toronto, it's me.

Comment

Yes I would definitely suggest you go back to square one and make sure you have the jig setup correctly, and understand the procedure to make the cuts. I cut the sides for one more box last night, and I must say I'm really starting to like this thing.. It doesn't get much better than this..
                    Attached Files

Comment

That you have pins twice the size as you mentioned suggests to me that you have the sequence of the panels (pieces) out of sequence or upside down. Notice from Mike's pics the panels are left and right (or front and back), opposite panel with tops edge same. Or alternating feed to put it another way. When cutting you need to flip the board end over end, not rotate (spin) it in the same plane. Doing the reverse will result in double cut. Sorry if my narrative isn't making sense, but check the video that came with it, and note carefully the sequence and positioning of each board.

Then you should have proper positioning. Cut only two pieces and they should be close if not dead on; then tweak the fine settings as to tight and so forth. But first goal is to get the pins or whatever name in proper sequence. I'll try to excavate my instructions unless the mice have eaten them .
                      Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                        A friend of mine who recently got one of them wrote an interesting article for our woodworking association's blog about his trials and tribulations with the jig. As I understand it, he's figured out how best to use it and is now a convert to the system.
                        Thanks for the info, Marty. I had some trouble viewing the pdf, but managed to figure it out. Attached a screenshot for others - hope that's okay?

Its possible that I've been experiencing beginner's luck so far.. at least it sounds that way after reading the blog post. I made a total of 1 test cut after setting up the jig and doing the kiss calibration. For the initial adjustment of the pins, I just ensured they were lightly touching each other. Next, the kiss calibration was done by slowly moving the blade back and forth, while simultaneously advancing the pins towards the blade by turning the silver knob counter clockwise, until i could hear the slightest sound from contact. After kiss calibration I turned the red knob clockwise to move the pins about 1/8 away from the blade, threw in a random piece of scrap (the test board need not be the same as your real pieces - could be different width, length, thickness, etc.. Only needs to be flat and square), clamped the test piece and made one cut. The test cut has one purpose - to determine the exact kerf width that your dado blade is producing. Next, you place it on the pins and turn the red knob clockwise until they spread apart and fit snugly in the test cut. I assume this is really where I got lucky, as it's completely subjective, as mentioned in the blog. I basically tried to adjust the fit so that when I lift the piece off of the pins, the pins would, just slightly, move up with the piece. Just wide enough to get that to happen, and no more. (Verify by turning the red knob CCW until it doesn't grab, then very vary slowly turning it clockwise again until it just starts to grab)

The following video shows this quite well. I tried to mimic exactly how they show it - right around the 15:20 mark. The video covers the whole process quite well. Initial setup for the first 12 minutes, then from 12 minutes to about 20 minutes, they explain the complete procedure for the tablesaw.

https://youtu.be/EXgfuA8kZb8

Comment

Oops.. here's the screenshot of the blog post that Marty added.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
                            That you have pins twice the size as you mentioned suggests to me that you have the sequence of the panels (pieces) out of sequence or upside down. Notice from Mike's pics the panels are left and right (or front and back), opposite panel with tops edge same. Or alternating feed to put it another way. When cutting you need to flip the board end over end, not rotate (spin) it in the same plane. Doing the reverse will result in double cut. Sorry if my narrative isn't making sense, but check the video that came with it, and note carefully the sequence and positioning of each board.

Then you should have proper positioning. Cut only two pieces and they should be close if not dead on; then tweak the fine settings as to tight and so forth. But first goal is to get the pins or whatever name in proper sequence. I'll try to excavate my instructions unless the mice have eaten them .
                            Yes, its important to properly follow the sequence. Once you figure it out you'll realize it couldn't be any simpler. As far as orienting your boards, all you have to do is decide whether you want to reference off of the top or bottom of your box (I choose the top), and mark the top edge of each board (I stack them up and draw one line across all 4 - doesn't matter which way they are turned). Then when you are using the jig, the marked edges always go towards the center of the jig. Always. When you begin cutting your 3rd and 4th boards (opposite of the first 2), you must use one of the first pieces to make the initial alignment, and when you do that just follow the same rule. The marked edge goes towards the center of the jig (and directly against the marked edge of the board you are preparing to cut).

Comment

OK, back again. I downloaded the instructions. What I described above is to be followed in Fig 22 -24 that I'll call the left and right sides. Fig 25 - 28 , p. 11 shows cutting what I'll call the front and back. Notice that their top edge is pins on left and right sides; and tails on front and back (or vice versa).

Note their Sharpie mark on the top edge of all boards. That's important for orientation. Note also they use contrasting wood for ease of orientation between sides, and front/back. I'm not suggesting that you go buy a bunch of walnut and birch , just use some marked up wood to distinguish between them while you practice. Hope I haven't added to any frustration. Good luck, it will suddenly pop into place.

YEA! Mike and I are doing a duet. I forgot that as he pointed out "When you begin cutting your 3rd and 4th boards (opposite of the first 2), you must use one of the first pieces to make the initial alignment," how you increment the second pair (two sides, then front and back). That is the key to your problem I believe - you didn't offset and that gives you double matching cuts. Thanks, Mike.
                              Last edited by Woodwreck; 05-13-2020, 11:32 PM.
                              Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Working...
                              X