Table saw motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw motor

This is my second go around of trying to buy a new saw motor. Last time I got talked out of it because my existing old 1hp motor was supposed to be enough for my purposes. But I’m convinced it is not. The saw is an old General 250. The motor is 1 hp 1725 rpm. 6” double pulley on the motor. 2.5” at the blade.
    im inquiring about a 3hp. The seller recommended a 3hp Leeson 1800rpm. When I asked about a3450 rpm motor he said it’s a couple hundred more and gives half the torque. So what’s best? Or does it matter? Regardless both motors have 1 1/8” shaft so I will need a new pulley. Where can I source that? Closest I can see at Princess auto is 5.25” double pulley. Remember it has a 6” now. This is assuming I get the 1800rpm motor. Thanks all.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table saw motor

The slower motor is more suitable for a table saw .

Comment

Forget Princess Auto, try Motion Industries, better quality pulleys. https://www.motioncanada

Comment

What is the shaft size on the motor you are replacing?

Comment

7/8”. Don’t think theres a bushing or adapter to make that fit?

Comment

How much is a new motor for that saw?

Comment

Originally posted by wbrent View Post
              7/8”. Don’t think theres a bushing or adapter to make that fit?
              I ask because princess auto has a 3hp, 230v, 1725rom unit for $299 but it's only 5/8" shaft. A machine shop or a friend with a lathe could make that bushing (7/8 - 5/8) pretty quick. They also have a 1-1/8 for $399.

Comment

The Leeson is $559. I may check out Princess auto. Just figure I only ever want to do this once and am a bit leery of the quality from Princess auto.

Comment

Just looked at those Princess auto motors. Both on sale right now. Interesting. Two question. Is there any concern with a 5/8” shaft coupled with a 6”double pulley? The more expensive motor looks funny to me. Is it because it has an internal fan? Do I need that?

Comment

This is my second go around of trying to buy a new saw motor. Last time I got talked out of it because my existing old 1hp motor was supposed to be enough for my purposes. But I’m convinced it is not. The saw is an old General 250. The motor is 1 hp 1725 rpm. 6” double pulley on the motor. 2.5” at the blade.
                    im inquiring about a 3hp. The seller recommended a 3hp Leeson 1800rpm. When I asked about a3450 rpm motor he said it’s a couple hundred more and gives half the torque. So what’s best? Or does it matter? Regardless both motors have 1 1/8” shaft so I will need a new pulley. Where can I source that? Closest I can see at Princess auto is 5.25” double pulley. Remember it has a 6” now. This is assuming I get the 1800rpm motor. Thanks all.
                    The motor HP is the same so of course at twice the speed it's half the torque. That doesn't matter as with the higher speed motor you'll use a motor pulley that's half the diameter so blade power remains the same as the slower speed motor. The higher speed motor may be lighter and smaller which would be an advantage.

I would use a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor to keep dust out. Don't forget you're going to need a new starter for the larger motor..........Regards, Rod.
                    WCraig likes this.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Starter?

Comment

Starter?
                        That would be a magnetic or manually actuated contactor or switch that controls the power to the motor. A 3 HP motor will need 240V and a 2 pole starter. It's best to go with a magnetic contactor because then there's no chance of accidental restart after a power failure. No overload protection is needed with the starter because the motor will have it built in.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. I know virtually nothing about electrical. But the existing motor is also 230v. And the switch , although it looks just like a regular light switch has a built in breaker. Took me forever to figure that out once when the breaker got kicked out. So does this sound like the appropriate switch? I know its old. But it has worked great for the life of the saw.

Comment

I think you'd be better off upgrading to a saw that is designed for a higher horsepower motor. As I read it, the recommended motor for a General 250 is 1.5 HP:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=20280

Is the motor pulley on your 250 a single or double sheave? Which size belt? The pulleys and belts dictate the maximum power that can be transmitted from the motor to the saw blade. You could hook up a 1,000 HP motor to the saw but if the pulley and belts can only transmit, say, 2 HP that is all you're going to see while running the saw.

Craig

Comment

Is your existing 1HP motor setup 120 or 240V? I doubt if your switch will support a 3 HP motor. Switches for motors need to pay attention to the HP value since the inductive nature of the motor can cause excessive arcing and sparking when a switch is opened and the switch must be able to withstand that. So if your switch is not rated for 3 HP, 240V, and is not a 2-pole switch don't use it.
                              Motors often have built-in overloads but you cannot rely on that being a certainty. If you tripped your existing switch on a 1 HP motor then it likely is too light for 3 HP.

Here is an example of a magnetic switch/contactor that is used for motors and offers the "stay-off" feature when there is a power failure and the power is restored.
                              https://www.busybeetools.com/product...a-17a-csa.html

billh

Comment

Working...
                              X