Spice Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spice Rack

When we move five years ago I had to leave my spice rack as it was built in so for the last while we have had all the jars stored in cardboard boxes that they were packed in.
    When we moved in I found some of the original kitchen cabinet doors in the shop in the garage.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	36AE2287-103B-4756-990E-72DDB815D775.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	1283640Click image for larger version

Name:	12E33F80-CA08-4654-AAE6-99022E6DE705.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1283641
    As you can see they had seen better days and had very heavy coats of paint on them including the hardware (I can never understand that It really irks me) so out came the heat gun and I stripped the paint off the wood and hardware which like all the hardware in the house (circ 1920's) is copper plated. I was missing the retainers for the catches and could only find brass.
    I built a new cabinet from scrap I had in the shop 3/4 birch ply for the box and 3/4 maple for the face frame. And sprayed it with water-based paint in my well-ventilated booth.

Name:	IMG_0438.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1283642
    I cleaned up the old hardware and the new retainers with alcohol and putting my metals degree to work re-plated the copper.
    Attached the hardware and hung the cabinet with a french cleat.

Name:	IMG_0442.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1283646Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1283647
    The hardware came out well in my opinion.

Name:	IMG_0443.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1283645
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    QC Inspector, Les Groeller and 4 others like this.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Spice Rack

All of it came out well.
    Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

That looks really good Jerome, we must both shop at the same high end spice bottle store

Here's mine in red oak.......Rod.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Exterior.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	1283665 Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1283667
      Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 05-15-2020, 08:01 AM.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Looks good Jerome. Rod you guys have a nice supply of purchased containers -- but I don't like to buy those --LOL.

Name:	Spice 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	12.16 MB
ID:	1283671

Name:	Spice1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1283672

Comment

Since this has turned into the spice rack thread, I'll add mine in as well. For years we had them stacked on shelves in our pantry. Always a bit of an adventure to find the one that you were looking for. Finally had enough this past winter. Took some old barn beams that had been sawn up and stacked in the shop for years, and hacked up the freshly sawn ends with an axe. Added a small bullnose molding to keep everything in place and aged it. Fine woodworking it is not, but it fits the character of the house
          If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

Far too organized there Steve. If mine was like that it would bug me every time I walked past and something wasn't lined up properly --LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
              Looks good Jerome. Rod you guys have a nice supply of purchased containers -- but I don't like to buy those --LOL.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spice 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.16 MB ID:	1283671

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spice1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	1283672

Gosh Wally, Rod, et al, but did your home's predecessors have COSTCO memberships in 1925? The OP's theme was that he is preserving the original c. 1925 cabinetry & hardware painted finish and note also the light fixture, and so forth either in original or recreating.

Nice work, but no cigar.
              Last edited by Woodwreck; 05-15-2020, 01:18 PM.
              Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Looks like a lot of jars from the big blue W in those first racks.
                Did you have any, where the jar threads were wonky, and the lids wouldn't fit?
                I ran across a few, after putting a wood cover on a lid, and not being able to fit it back on the jar.
                Then when I went to the store again, 1/2 the jars there were wonky.
                C'mon, where's the QC for $1 spice jars?
                Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Jerome that is an admirable job of preservation. Homes, c. 1925 depression era had no luxury of hardwood, stained finish yatta, yatta. I notice the appropriate pull chain light and door frame to the left. You mention a missing/mismatch latch. There are restoral sites that others here on the forum frequent, I assume you have those links or we can send them to you. I, and others I am sure, would welcome some pics of other original woodwork you might have in the home.

What method of spray equipment is that on the grass?

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post

Gosh Wally, Rod, et al, but did your home's predecessors have COSTCO memberships in 1925? The OP's theme was that he is preserving the original c. 1925 cabinetry & hardware painted finish and note also the light fixture, and so forth either in original or recreating.

Nice work, but no cigar.
                    Well, no, however I built a band mill and milled that wood from a 48" diameter red oak log that was going to the shredder in Toronto, so my wood is probably older than his wood.....LOL..........Regards, Rod.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Here are some photos of the woodwork all original I just finished restaining and varnishing it but I didn't want it to look new so left some flaws but its a lot nicer than it was.

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1283744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1283745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1283746
                      Some of the shoe mould is new milled in my shop.
                      I would be interested in those hardware suppliers.
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Nice restoration there Jerome!
                        I find a lot of satisfaction in bringing old furniture/cabinetry/woodwork back to life. Looks like you do too.
                        Love the "spray booth" too

Paul

Comment

Nice work Jerome. How do you like that spray system. I have the same one and have been very impressed with it.
                          Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

I like the spray system (an Earlex) I just need to find a space to set up a proper spray booth the conditions have to be just right to use mine.
                            Jerome
                            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Jerome, start with Van Dykes Restoral

https://www.vandykes.com/restorers-c...yABEgLz-PD_BwE

Comment

Working...
                              X