Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to re-saw boards on the Table Saw

Hi All,
    I acquired some Cherry boards and some Walnut boards. The Cherry are 10" wide and 1" thick. The Walnut boards are 15" wide and 1" thick. I intend to rip the boards (which ever one I use) to about 4 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick. I will then finish to 3/8" on my planer to use for making a Keepsake box. As I don't have a band saw capable of re-sawing is it safe to re-saw on the table saw? I have a tall fence that fits over my regular fence and I have a new sharp ripping blade in my saw. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron in Woodstock
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Is it safe to re-saw boards on the Table Saw

It is safe to do if it's done properly. You could saw 2 1/2" high from each side. That said -- you didn't listen when people said not to buy the thin kerf blades and to spend a little more to get a good one. That thin kerf you bought will get too hot and warp for sure. You can try it if you like -- but be forwarned. The Freud Diablo is not that good of a blade. If you had got the Freud Glue line rip -- you probably would have gotten by. JMHO FWIW.
    Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 05-15-2020, 10:07 AM.
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

It is. Don't try to rip full blade height in one pass. Depending on the power of your saw it's better to do it in two or three passes.

Comment

Thanks Wally, I appreciate the comments on the saw blade, when tool stores open again then I can look at a different blade. With virtually nowhere to buy a blade I picked this blade up at Home Hardware on the day they opened up again in a very limited way so that I could do some cutting. My old rip blade has a broken tooth and as I don't have lots of different blades I figured that this blade would work.. Thanks for the re-sawing help.

Ron

Comment

I have done it before making a pass then flipping the board and doing the other side until they meet in the middle. I think I was doing around an inch at a time. It is a little nerve wracking to say the least but my 60" x 8" x 1" piece of Teak came out really well and I salvaged a lot of wood I otherwise would have sent through the planer.

Here's a good video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FNHkOfWG0

Last edited by WoodBob; 05-15-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Hi 'Woodbob', Thanks for the input. I watched the youtube video and that is what I imagined I should do. As I have not carried out this action before I intend to use as many feather boards as I need and maybe use my Micro-jig with a suitable height spacer attached to support the left side. Thanks again.

Ron.

Comment

Hi Bender,
              Thanks for the post. I am hoping to do maybe 1/2" passes at a time. I am in no hurry and safety is paramount in my mind.

Comment

Hi Ron,

One thing you might consider is using your table saw to cut through about 45% of the way through the board on both sides, then head to the bandsaw to cut through the last bit of wood in the center of the piece. If you're using 4-1/2" wide board, that means cutting through about 2" from either said (with multiple passes), then cutting the last 1/2" with the bandsaw.

Another thing you will likely realize.....once you resaw the boards they will both likely warp (cup) in the opposite way. You won't likely end up with 2 flat pieces, and will have to dress the 1/2" thick boards on the jointer. This is because of the way most boards dry. It's not a guarantee, but is more than likely going to happen. And each board will likely cup to a different degree. All I'm saying is you won't end up with 2 boards 1/2" thick. The table saw kerf will reduce your final width, then jointing will reduce it a bit more. Not the end of the world, as long as you don't need 7/16" parts for your boxes.

Comment

Thanks Rob,
                  My final planned thickness is at least one board 3/8" thick finished thickness. I did'nt realise the 'warping factor' - nice that you mentioned it! I aim to try this whole procedure tomorrow. How I wish I still had my 14" Delta Band saw from a few years back!

Thanks Rob

Ron

Comment

I've done this many times on the tablesaw. Does your saw have a riving knife? I'm not sure I would attempt it without one.. some boards really like to try and pinch the blade as internal stress is relieved during the cut. Warping is not only a concern after the fact.. it could cause a kickback if you aren't careful. I would also suggest you are careful with the featherboards, especially if you are going to make multiple passes. While they are a great help, if you put too much pressure holding the board to the fence, it can cause the kerf to pinch closed a bit and potentially cause kickback on the subsequent passes. This wouldn't be as much of a concern if you have a tall enough featherboard that puts pressure higher than your cut depth, but still something to think about.

Personally, I prefer to cut just shy of half the depth, flip the board end for end so you use the same face against the fence, cut that side, and then cut the remaining 1/4 or 1/2" with a bandsaw (or handsaw), then clean up with a handplane or jointer.

Comment

What Mike mentions about using a featherboard is very true. You don't want to use so much pressure with the featherbaord that it pinches the wood on the left side of the blade INTO the saw blade.

Bottom line.....listen to your saw. If it's making weird noises you know something is wrong.
                      JimPTBO likes this.

Comment

I rip hard maple on that Unisaw in my shop. It is a 2 hp motor and will rip 8/4 hard maple just slowing the feed rate. Even a 1 hp motor with a slower feed rate would easily rip 1 in cherry with a full cut.

My job site saw will easily rip 4/4 cherry. Kiln dried cherry is pretty stable.

Brian
                        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

It's safe to resaw boards on a table saw. Just make sure you are supporting the work that is between the fence and the blade. Using a push stick that you don't care that get's ruined is the best thing to use for this. If you don't support the wood between the fence and blade you will get kickback and the dents in my garage door tell me that I am happy it wasn't me.

Comment

Ron, if you are having second thoughts about using the TS, you are welcome to drop by and I have a 12" capacity Laguna bandsaw with a 3hp motor that will do the job in no time.
                            My phone # is still the same.

Paul
                            bender likes this.

Comment

Thank you to everybody who has taken the trouble to reply to my post and offer me so much good advice.

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X