Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push stick ripping/jointing

Ripping, jointing & push sticks.

Pictures of one of my push sticks in use.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8503B4BF-8699-49F4-8091-9A4CA910813B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1283896Click image for larger version  Name:	780C6295-7332-48F3-9624-260AED6CB094.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	1283897Click image for larger version  Name:	527B9919-EA7C-47CE-9119-A90B70A7D2FA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	1283898Click image for larger version  Name:	0AADE647-E3E3-4962-835F-C78AE9CDA5E7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	1283899Click image for larger version  Name:	4FCC6C8E-5EF8-43A9-9021-34C652D6DDDF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	1283900Click image for larger version  Name:	23BDDF3E-C4C0-42B3-A304-ACF3D6C398DA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	1283901
    darrin1200, KenL and Slanted7 like this.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

That looks a really good, safe push stick. Do you mind if I try and copy it?

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Gillatt View Post
      That looks a really good, safe push stick. Do you mind if I try and copy it?

Ron
      We’ll surely, go for it. The handles are friction fit and can be moved. The end lug is just a squared off dowel friction fit and is easily replaced as will be required if you work with thin stock. Numerous holes could be drilled for the handles to accommodate different situations.
      Egon
      from

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post

We’ll surely, go for it. The handles are friction fit and can be moved. The end lug is just a squared off dowel friction fit and is easily replaced as will be required if you work with thin stock. Numerous holes could be drilled for the handles to accommodate different situations.
        That sure looks safe, I use a stick about a 2 X1 with birds mouth in one end and rounded on the other to fit my hand comfortably, sometimes I use 2 so neither hand is close if its small stuff I am cutting, the rule when I was apprentice was a stick no less than 16 inch that way if you do slip you do have a chance to react the problem is the end gets munted and reformed then the stick is shorter and should be thrown away and new ones made, I have seen them still being used at 12inch and its too short.
        Could you elaborate on your friction fit of the handles, my first thought was of the handles coming loose just when its critical to be in control, I suspect you have it better thought out but someone else reading this may not, I would guess the handle has a long dowel to penetrate the block and not just 10mm.

Comment

The holes are drilled through the block and handles turned to fit snug. On the jointer pressure on the ends can be varied to suit what has to be done. The handles should. Not come out while using due to the. Direction. Of the force being applied.
          Egon
          from

Comment

I feel supper bad. I should take a picture of my push stick and show you what I am working with... Definitely NOT a piece of art.

Comment

Here are a couple more that I have as well as a scrap bin of scraps.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	F8F2CD1C-C6F7-4310-B5EA-99BE95904B88.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	784.7 KB
ID:	1283953
              John@Hamilton likes this.
              Egon
              from

Comment

Ya got her on the wrong side on that R A S ?

Comment

Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
                  Ya got her on the wrong side on that R A S ?
                  How so?

Egon
                  from

Comment

Unless i am seeing it wrong, once the cut is finished the piece between the blade and fence is going for a ride across the room ? no ?

Comment

Push stick? LOL my "push-stick" is whatever I grab from the cutoff pile. I did get the below a few months ago but it is still in the box.

Comment

Unless i am seeing it wrong, once the cut is finished the piece between the blade and fence is going for a ride across the room ? no ?
                        How would you place it.
                        Egon
                        from

Comment

To me and my usage on a RAS that finger saver is not suitable for such a small ripping job. Does not the push have to be between the blade and the fence ?

Comment

To me and my usage on a RAS that finger saver is not suitable for such a small ripping job. Does not the push have to be between the blade and the fence ?
                            ripping on a RAS is best done with somebody pushing and somebody pulling for longer pieces. You set the nose of the guard right down on the work so it cannot lift.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

ripping on a RAS is best done with somebody pushing and somebody pulling for longer pieces. You set the nose of the guard right down on the work so it cannot lift.
                              True but the image from the OP is not long enough for the second person to get a grip on.

Comment

Working...
                              X