Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Push stick ripping/jointing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Push stick ripping/jointing

    Ripping, jointing & push sticks.

    Pictures of one of my push sticks in use.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8503B4BF-8699-49F4-8091-9A4CA910813B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1283896Click image for larger version  Name:	780C6295-7332-48F3-9624-260AED6CB094.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	1283897Click image for larger version  Name:	527B9919-EA7C-47CE-9119-A90B70A7D2FA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	1283898Click image for larger version  Name:	0AADE647-E3E3-4962-835F-C78AE9CDA5E7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	1283899Click image for larger version  Name:	4FCC6C8E-5EF8-43A9-9021-34C652D6DDDF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	1283900Click image for larger version  Name:	23BDDF3E-C4C0-42B3-A304-ACF3D6C398DA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	1283901
    darrin1200, KenL and Slanted7 like this.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

    That looks a really good, safe push stick. Do you mind if I try and copy it?

    Ron

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

      Originally posted by Ron Gillatt View Post
      That looks a really good, safe push stick. Do you mind if I try and copy it?

      Ron
      We’ll surely, go for it. The handles are friction fit and can be moved. The end lug is just a squared off dowel friction fit and is easily replaced as will be required if you work with thin stock. Numerous holes could be drilled for the handles to accommodate different situations.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

        Originally posted by Egon View Post

        We’ll surely, go for it. The handles are friction fit and can be moved. The end lug is just a squared off dowel friction fit and is easily replaced as will be required if you work with thin stock. Numerous holes could be drilled for the handles to accommodate different situations.
        That sure looks safe, I use a stick about a 2 X1 with birds mouth in one end and rounded on the other to fit my hand comfortably, sometimes I use 2 so neither hand is close if its small stuff I am cutting, the rule when I was apprentice was a stick no less than 16 inch that way if you do slip you do have a chance to react the problem is the end gets munted and reformed then the stick is shorter and should be thrown away and new ones made, I have seen them still being used at 12inch and its too short.
        Could you elaborate on your friction fit of the handles, my first thought was of the handles coming loose just when its critical to be in control, I suspect you have it better thought out but someone else reading this may not, I would guess the handle has a long dowel to penetrate the block and not just 10mm.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

          The holes are drilled through the block and handles turned to fit snug. On the jointer pressure on the ends can be varied to suit what has to be done. The handles should. Not come out while using due to the. Direction. Of the force being applied.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

            I feel supper bad. I should take a picture of my push stick and show you what I am working with... Definitely NOT a piece of art.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

              Here are a couple more that I have as well as a scrap bin of scraps.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	F8F2CD1C-C6F7-4310-B5EA-99BE95904B88.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	784.7 KB
ID:	1283953
              John@Hamilton likes this.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                Ya got her on the wrong side on that R A S ?

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                  Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
                  Ya got her on the wrong side on that R A S ?
                  How so?

                  Egon
                  from
                  The South Shore, Nova Scotia

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                    Unless i am seeing it wrong, once the cut is finished the piece between the blade and fence is going for a ride across the room ? no ?

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                      Push stick? LOL my "push-stick" is whatever I grab from the cutoff pile. I did get the below a few months ago but it is still in the box.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                        Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
                        Unless i am seeing it wrong, once the cut is finished the piece between the blade and fence is going for a ride across the room ? no ?
                        How would you place it.
                        Egon
                        from
                        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                          To me and my usage on a RAS that finger saver is not suitable for such a small ripping job. Does not the push have to be between the blade and the fence ?

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                            Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
                            To me and my usage on a RAS that finger saver is not suitable for such a small ripping job. Does not the push have to be between the blade and the fence ?
                            ripping on a RAS is best done with somebody pushing and somebody pulling for longer pieces. You set the nose of the guard right down on the work so it cannot lift.

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: Push stick ripping/jointing

                              Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

                              ripping on a RAS is best done with somebody pushing and somebody pulling for longer pieces. You set the nose of the guard right down on the work so it cannot lift.
                              True but the image from the OP is not long enough for the second person to get a grip on.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X