Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reclaimed pine tabletop is too soft?

Hi everyone, Happy Victoria Day!

I have some reclaimed pine I was going to make a kitchen/dinner table from.
    It's from a very old barn, square nails and I assume it's pine.
    Now I am having second thoughts about the durability of the wood.
    I have made a cabinet top from similar wood, it's not in heavy use, yet there are visible scratches. It was varnished about 4 times with a brush.

I was thinking of using epoxy for the table top finish, not sure...
    The wood has lots of cracks, holes from removed nails etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: reclaimed pine tabletop is too soft?

I made a pine table more than 40 years ago and it has been in daily use in our kitchen eating area.
    I refinished it once about 20 years ago -Varathane Diamond.
    There's some dents and scratches but more than serviceable.
    IMHO reclaimed wood wouldn't show new blemishes as much.
    Last edited by beachburl; 05-17-2020, 11:14 AM. Reason: Varathane Diamond
    KenL likes this.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I worked on a 100 year old harvest style kitchen table for a customer a few years ago. It had a two board pine top. It had 100 years of wear and imperfections in the top but she loved it. The problem was that because people were not as tall as today and chairs were lower to the floor, modern chairs and people could not sit and get theirs legs under it. She wanted the legs extended. I tried to talk her out of it because it would destroy the antique effect She realised that but wanted to make it usable anyways. All 4 legs were hand hued and were different sized at the ends. I blended some pine from an old barn to the ends for the legs, hand hued each to match the legs and stained each to match the existing leg. She was ecstatic. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you like the character of older wood, go for it. Just don't expect to not get a few scratched and dents in it. Good luck with whatever you decide
      Murray
      Last edited by Murray in Toronto; 05-17-2020, 01:02 PM.
      This wood is all clear between the knots.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will give it a go Have to make the wife happy.

Comment

My dinning room table is pine. I finished it and then brought it into the house right away. Kids dinged and scratched the top up pretty quickly over the first three months. After that they've hardly been able to touch it. My theory was that the varnish (I used Arm-R-Seal) needs time to really solidify.

Comment

We had a 3 board pine harvest table and after 15 years of use you could see some wear and even make out some of the kid's homework assignments written in the wood but I thought that just added to the charm of it.
            Be careful when you follow the masses...sometimes the 'm' is silent.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have a white oak kitchen table and my kids have damaged it to the point of refinish....
              Count on refinishing it but at least with reclaimed it won’t be so obvious when it has scratches.
              Dont use epoxy, use varnish that can be recoated.

The moral is “kids wreck everything” so plan accordingly.

Nathan

Comment

Ditto to all the above, I'm on my second table I have made made of oak so harder and mostly just the 2 of us so its lasting longer, I have a kitchen work bench I epoxy coated 3 years ago, it is showing signs of wear being so glossy it shows every scratch and there are plenty if them, best answer is not to look.

Comment

Working...
                X