Helmitin Wood Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmitin Wood Glue

I have been a Titebond lll user for a very long time and about 6 months ago started using Titebond Original in search of more open time. A month ago I purchased a gallon of Helmitin wood glue. It is manufactured in Toronto but the parent company is a German Company having been in business for over 100 years. It’s open time is miles ahead of the Titebond products. With Titebond when I was putting together doors ¬†by the time I started to clamp the first joints had already started to set up. If you glued up a door and as you were moving onto the next one you noticed the panel was in backwards, forget about taking it apart. Yesterday I was gluing dovetail drawers and had to take one apart that had already been glued for a couple of minutes. Came apart with a couple of gentle taps. This would never had happened with Titebond

Click image for larger version

Name:	181C1E2B-D7F6-4884-87D3-EE891E636106.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1289054 Click image for larger version

Name:	64BC3A64-3C95-4120-9812-7B619530C539.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1289055 Click image for larger version

Name:	F7E68C2B-60E6-468B-8DDE-B42BC1FDA56B.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1289056
    Greg Bainbridge, smallerstick and 4 others like this.
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Helmitin Wood Glue

Thanks Brian.  What's the cost like for a gallon? 
    I don't suppose anyone has seen any comparative strength tests?

Comment

Looks like 5 gallons is the smallest they sell.

Comment

I used 2 5 gal pails a month for 20 + years. One was for the panels and the other for the rail and stiles. ( 2 different numbers ) NEVER had an issue. Great stuff. I forget now but it had a short shelf life but wasn't an issue for me when manufacturing doors. Anyway, i had some left over when i gave up working for a living so i drained it off into Gator Aid bottles. Last year, 6 years later, yes lol, i needed glue for a little project i was playing with. It was pretty stiff in the bottle, like cold ketchup. I got a bunch of it out and added a little water to thin it out. Did a test glue up, clamped for a short time and let set till next day. When i busted it apart it tore the wood grains out. Just be sure to keep it well mixed as it can settle to the bottom. Get a dowel in there and stir. Enjoy, you have discovered a great product.

Comment

Normand Inc in Cambridge sell it by the gallon, $34. Thanks Sam, good to hear from experience.

Brian
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

used it for over 35 years friend at Gillanders¬¬† shop told me about them. ¬¬† I think Dayvan sold it,¬¬† Best thing was they had a tech think a Scottish guy who was the real deal so could answer questions and was not a salesman and not only answered lots gave even more info same time.¬¬† Hes retired like many of the guys ive dealt with¬¬† hard sometimes to find good people at companies now, just not the same knowledge. ¬¬† ¬

I likely have notes,  antique memory there was a different open time between white and yellow and I choose according.

Comment

Here's the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) and the Product Data Sheet (PDS) for Helmibond 847. Open Time is 5 minutes.
              It is a great glue, then again I might be a bit biased......
              Scott Holman
              Helmitin Inc.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mike Kerns, Irish just remembered a nice accent,   so much for the memory  

is Ariss out near Mary Hill?       think ive seen it on the way to my moms long term care.  see it now been through many times when I dont drop down to Marden road

anyone know what is causing the A things?

Last edited by Sawdust; 06-30-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust View Post
                  used it for over 35 years friend at Gillanders¬¬¬† shop told me about them. ¬¬¬† I think Dayvan sold it,¬¬¬† Best thing was they had a tech think a Scottish guy who was the real deal so could answer questions and was not a salesman and not only answered lots gave even more info same time.¬¬¬† Hes retired like many of the guys ive dealt with¬¬¬† hard sometimes to find good people at companies now, just not the same knowledge. ¬¬¬† ¬

¬¬†I likely have notes,¬¬† antique memory there was a different open time between white and yellow and I choose according.

¬¬†
                  I started out at TWF Enterprises which was all former Gillanders employees and same owner. Then went to PCV Millwork which was owned by the former project manager of Gillanders and the manager and Forman from TWF. Gillanders had a lot of talented cabinet makers. Too bad companies like that no longer exist in southern Ontario 

Comment

them, Craftwood and many others,¬¬† old europeans trained.¬¬† I had a friend who ended up high there you would know of him ill PM you¬¬† I met him once years later at the wood show and next time tried to find him he evaporated.¬¬† One guy knew him well in a Fergus shop that went down but was not able to find him.¬¬† thanks for mentioning that.¬ .¬†

And Marrsville Ive driven through back from the Long Term Care home many times.   Last time heading east speed trap tucked way up a driveway and its slow there.  .  
                    Last edited by Sawdust; 06-30-2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust View Post
                      them, Craftwood and many others,¬¬¬† old europeans trained.¬¬¬† I had a friend who ended up high there you would know of him ill PM you¬¬¬† I met him once years later at the wood show and next time tried to find him he evaporated.¬¬¬† One guy knew him well in a Fergus shop that went down but was not able to find him.¬¬¬† thanks for mentioning that.¬ .¬¬†

And Marrsville Ive driven through back from the Long Term Care home many times.¬¬†¬¬† Last time heading east speed trap tucked way up a driveway and its slow there.¬¬† .¬¬†¬¬†
                      I replied to your message that we may have met when I closed my shop, then read this. Yeah, you bought some tools from us

Comment

yeah remember well, good talking with you and respect for that shop and people you know and worked with

Comment

I've actually been looking around at the different glues out there recently. And I'm looking to make doors soon. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X