Dressing Slabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing Slabs

Looking for someone in the London area that can flatten and run 2 large ash slabs rough 4’x8’ through a wide belt sander?Know of anyone?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dressing Slabs

What exactly do you want to have done???

And what kind of equipment do you own???  

Comment

Originally posted by mitchy5104 View Post
      Looking for someone in the London area that can flatten and run 2 large ash slabs rough 4’x8’ through a wide belt sander?Know of anyone?
      If those slabs are rough sawn and not flat no one is going to put them through a wide belt sander, unless they don't care about their machinery and if they don't care about their machinery you won't get a good job, the slabs need to be flat and brought to thickness, the belts they use on those sanders are expensive expect to pay for at least one belt, I have never seen a 48 inch surface planer or thicknesser so you will be struggling to get it flat that way.
      Your answer is to find someone with a CNC machine that will flatten it or set up a router on a sledge, the CNC machining will cost $, making a sledge will take time and cost $.
      Your cheapest option is to get a big hand plane and put some sweat into it, maybe hire a floor sander but beware of digging holes in it, when you have it flat and it is exposed to any climate change it won't be flat anymore, I have a slab table outside it is constantly moving but its an outdoor table, I used a big hand plane and a hand held 4 inch belt sander.
      Good luck
      WoodBob likes this.

Comment

+1 why not build a router jig and do it yourself? Would be a great learning experience. YouTube has tons of videos explaining how.  

Comment

I am "guessing" these are really not slabs but glue ups ? A slab that big would have come from one very Large tree. A Slab to me is the outside of the log that is cut off in milling the log into lumber. Flat saw cut one side, the other half round with bark on it .
          If it is a glue up you are wanting done there are lots of 50"+ shops with sanders that big but not sure if they would want to play with outside work coming in. The glue used is very important to us with wide belt sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
            I am "guessing" these are really not slabs but glue ups ? A slab that big would have come from one very Large tree. A Slab to me is the outside of the log that is cut off in milling the log into lumber. Flat saw cut one side, the other half round with bark on it .
            If it is a glue up you are wanting done there are lots of 50"+ shops with sanders that big but not sure if they would want to play with outside work coming in. The glue used is very important to us with wide belt sanders.
            Not all slabs have the bark on one side

Comment

I can confirm that I know what a slab is and these are indeed slabs.   To clarify, i'm looking for someone that can flatten them with a cnc machine, i don't want to build such a large router sled to flatten them.   wide belt sander would be nice but not necessary.     I have absolutely no desire to hand plane such a large piece.    

Comment

I would just make a online search for CNC woodworking in London on Google and start there.   Not saying that there isn't sometimes people on here with large CNC machines but your best bet would be to look at it in the search engine.   If I had a 4 by 8 foot CNC machine I would charge a fair amount to do it.   Seeing that if there's dirt or a piece of metal (more common than you think) in the slab it would ruin a 60 to 80$ bit.

And you would probably need that big of a machine too because something smaller might cause a V in the material because it's not certain that the lumber is cut level.

Comment

Paul at Canadian Woodworks near Erin has a CNC Machine that he bought for the sole purpose of flattening slabs. I tried linking but it didn’t work. Google and you can get his contact info. I have seen it and I am sure it will handle 4 ft widths. Maybe a bit of a drive but has a nice shop and helpful guy.  
                  [email protected] likes this.
                  If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I have done quite a few large slabs on my machine.   It is the right tool.   A big shop might have a wide belt for after the flattening, but it is pretty easy to sand off the tool marks with a 6" orbital.  

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

Not all slabs have the bark on one side
                      Me calls them live edge !

Comment

Slab has 2 common meanings. One is an outside slice of a log, the other is thick piece of wood (thick board). A good dictionary will give you both.  
                        https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slab
                        bender likes this.
                        Frank
                        SPCHT

Comment

Metalwood Studio in Barrie has a planer/sander for this purpose. Its a drive but they can do this pretty easily. (705) 735-3300

You could call Davy at Allied Stars in London. (519) 488-4822 They Sell Abrasives and might be able to guide you to someone in your area that can do this job.
                          Mark
                          www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
                            Slab has 2 common meanings. One is an outside slice of a log, the other is thick piece of wood (thick board). A good dictionary will give you both.
                            https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slab
                            Yes as you say Frank, as a slab of cake or a slab of rock etc.

In the Netherlands we have two words for the different pieces of the log that are sawn, the first part with the bark on it that is sawn off the log is called a scab and the next piece would be a plank, with or without the bark on the edge, it could be thick or thin, but no confusion of what is what

Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by master finishing View Post
                              Metalwood Studio in Barrie has a planer/sander for this purpose. Its a drive but they can do this pretty easily. (705) 735-3300

You could call Davy at Allied Stars in London. (519) 488-4822 They Sell Abrasives and might be able to guide you to someone in your area that can do this job.

There's a shop where I live that custom built their industrial equipment and can handle a 36 inches max.    

Comment

Working...
                              X