Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dressing Slabs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dressing Slabs

    Looking for someone in the London area that can flatten and run 2 large ash slabs rough 4’x8’ through a wide belt sander?Know of anyone?
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Dressing Slabs

    Follow me on Instagram
    Or like my page on Facebook
    This is my website www.matteout.com

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Dressing Slabs

      Originally posted by mitchy5104 View Post
      Looking for someone in the London area that can flatten and run 2 large ash slabs rough 4’x8’ through a wide belt sander?Know of anyone?
      If those slabs are rough sawn and not flat no one is going to put them through a wide belt sander, unless they don't care about their machinery and if they don't care about their machinery you won't get a good job, the slabs need to be flat and brought to thickness, the belts they use on those sanders are expensive expect to pay for at least one belt, I have never seen a 48 inch surface planer or thicknesser so you will be struggling to get it flat that way.
      Your answer is to find someone with a CNC machine that will flatten it or set up a router on a sledge, the CNC machining will cost $, making a sledge will take time and cost $.
      Your cheapest option is to get a big hand plane and put some sweat into it, maybe hire a floor sander but beware of digging holes in it, when you have it flat and it is exposed to any climate change it won't be flat anymore, I have a slab table outside it is constantly moving but its an outdoor table, I used a big hand plane and a hand held 4 inch belt sander.
      Good luck
      WoodBob likes this.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Dressing Slabs

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Dressing Slabs

          I am "guessing" these are really not slabs but glue ups ? A slab that big would have come from one very Large tree. A Slab to me is the outside of the log that is cut off in milling the log into lumber. Flat saw cut one side, the other half round with bark on it .
          If it is a glue up you are wanting done there are lots of 50"+ shops with sanders that big but not sure if they would want to play with outside work coming in. The glue used is very important to us with wide belt sanders.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Dressing Slabs

            Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
            I am "guessing" these are really not slabs but glue ups ? A slab that big would have come from one very Large tree. A Slab to me is the outside of the log that is cut off in milling the log into lumber. Flat saw cut one side, the other half round with bark on it .
            If it is a glue up you are wanting done there are lots of 50"+ shops with sanders that big but not sure if they would want to play with outside work coming in. The glue used is very important to us with wide belt sanders.
            Not all slabs have the bark on one side

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Dressing Slabs

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Dressing Slabs

                Follow me on Instagram
                Or like my page on Facebook
                This is my website www.matteout.com

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Dressing Slabs

                  [email protected] likes this.
                  If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Dressing Slabs

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Dressing Slabs

                      Originally posted by bkrits View Post

                      Not all slabs have the bark on one side
                      Me calls them live edge !

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Dressing Slabs

                        https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slab
                        bender likes this.
                        Frank
                        SPCHT

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Dressing Slabs

                          Metalwood Studio in Barrie has a planer/sander for this purpose. Its a drive but they can do this pretty easily. (705) 735-3300

                          You could call Davy at Allied Stars in London. (519) 488-4822 They Sell Abrasives and might be able to guide you to someone in your area that can do this job.
                          Mark
                          www.masterfinishing.ca

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Dressing Slabs

                            Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
                            Slab has 2 common meanings. One is an outside slice of a log, the other is thick piece of wood (thick board). A good dictionary will give you both.
                            https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slab
                            Yes as you say Frank, as a slab of cake or a slab of rock etc.

                            In the Netherlands we have two words for the different pieces of the log that are sawn, the first part with the bark on it that is sawn off the log is called a scab and the next piece would be a plank, with or without the bark on the edge, it could be thick or thin, but no confusion of what is what

                            Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: Dressing Slabs

                              Originally posted by master finishing View Post
                              Metalwood Studio in Barrie has a planer/sander for this purpose. Its a drive but they can do this pretty easily. (705) 735-3300

                              You could call Davy at Allied Stars in London. (519) 488-4822 They Sell Abrasives and might be able to guide you to someone in your area that can do this job.
                              Follow me on Instagram
                              Or like my page on Facebook
                              This is my website www.matteout.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X