Storing Jointed/Planed lumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Jointed/Planed lumber

I’m trying to figure out some wood cost saving ideas. I am able to buy some wood relatively inexpensively if I order it in bulk, but the cost buying individual boards in Saskatoon is insane. My only issue is that I don’t have a jointer. I can rent space at a community workshop, but it’s fairly expensive.

I was thinking of ordering a bulk assortment of hardwoods, jointing and planing them, and storing them until I need them. What I don’t know, is can I do that without them warping all over the place between the milling and actually using them. My ideal place would be my garage. It is insulated (temp range -10 to +30). Can I do this, and expect it to work out reasonably well?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Storing Jointed/Planed lumber

Stacked dry with stickers and some weights on them will help.
    but inevitably wood changes and may need further dressing.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

What Richard said is spot on .... wood changes. There really is no reason not to store wood out of doors, as long as it is protected from rain/snow fall but still allowed to have air flow thru' it to keep it dry. Piled higher rather than wider on a pallet to keep it off the ground with a plastic ground sheet to keep moisture from rising up from the ground, with a cover to keep moisture off and stickered to allow the air flow ... you'd be fine outside.

Comment

Imho,i does not mater if it’s ruff cut,bought ruff then dressed,or bought dressed,stack and sticker,protect from direct moisture
        John Bartley likes this.

Comment

There's many trains of thought when it comes to storing lumber. Some store it vertically some store it horizontally.

I store my lumber on horizontal racks. If they are not already dried then I will use Stickers (sticks between layers). If I dress them then I will do my best to try to ether let tons of air at them or the opposite try to keep the air away from them. I know it's confusing because there's no standard best practice other than dressing lumber as close to when you want to use them. In other words it's better for you to rent some time at the woodshop when you need the lumber or look online for a planer. I bought mine for 200$ a few years back from Kijiji and I haven't regretted that purchase.

Comment

Why bother jointing the boards before storage. Do that when the boards are picked for a project. Store it With protection from the elements so there is air circulation and the boards are stickered with weight on top or strapped tight.
            Dean likes this.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

You can use a table saw to make straight edges with a simple jig and also use a planer to function as a jointer using shims under the wood on another piece of wood.

Comment

I have no luck storing milled lumber. I store it in the unheated loft of my garage. I always have to run it on the jointer again before I can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by bender View Post
                  I have no luck storing milled lumber. I store it in the unheated loft of my garage. I always have to run it on the jointer again before I can use it.
                  Does the unheated loft become super-heated when the summer sun shines on it?

Comment

Lumber is best rough cut to length for a given project before milling. Trying to mill long boards straight, flat & square wastes a lot of lumber and will almost always warp to some extent during prolonged storage.

If there is no budget for a jointer and planer, there are ways to joint edges with a table saw or router. Get an inexpensive lunchbox planer & make a jig to joint one face before planing to thickness. YouTube has many videos showing how.

Comment

The garage isn't insulated so it's hot in the loft but not hot like a house attic.
                      John Bartley likes this.

Comment

What is bulk amounts to you ? Air dried or will it be dead nice kiln dried by a professional company. If the later then just pile it, it will not move on ya like air dried will. No stickers needed neither.

Comment

The only thing I would do is a light skip plane one side just to have an idea what the wood looked like otherwise I leave it alone until I need it. That way any fading or colour changes staining will be cleaned off when I want it.

What woods are you thinking of buying? Depending on species and sizes I might be interested in some. A little extra on your order might bring the costs down or get you to the minimums needed for an order.

Pete

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. It seems like the rule of thumb is that the wood will do what it will, and if I want to keep it straight, I really should mill it just before using it.
                            [email protected] likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian SW View Post
                              Thanks for the help everyone. It seems like the rule of thumb is that the wood will do what it will, and if I want to keep it straight, I really should mill it just before using it.
                              Yes unless it is properly kiln dried lumber.

Comment

Working...
                              X