Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4" Black Walnut dining table

Hi everyone,

Brand new to the forum - please be gentle.

Been woodworking for 3 years now - making stuff for myself and some family members. I've been reading and learning from everyone on this forum.

I started with making live edge tables, simple shelving (mostly pine) now trying my hand with consoles, coffee tables etc. Will even attempt making drawers. God help me!

I've come across some almost 1" thick black walnut D3S that I will mill to 3/4". Each board is about 5" wide. My question is, at 3/4" thickness will this be strong enough to make a dining table say 65" x 35"? Any chance of sagging? I'm planning on buying hairpin legs for a simple streamlined look.

Thanks everyone
    Peter
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 3/4" Black Walnut dining table

I would say it will be thick enough, however IF the wood is already D3S, why plane it any more than need be? By that I mean you could get away only losing an 1/8" or even less if lucky.
    schor likes this.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

I agree with Tom, don't take it down any more than you need to to clean things up. The bottom doesn't matter much.
      WoodBob likes this.
      Steve The Drill Sergeant
      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

It all kinda depends on what type of frame the table top will sit on.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I agree with Steve in that you should take the thickness down as little as possible. You can use biscuits to equalize bowing too, so you should just focus on getting out cupping and twisting.

Like Egon said, the support of the top will be more crucial the thinner the top is. Make sure there are strong aprons aligned cross-grained to the top and that the top is well secured to the apron.

Comment

The BW is D3S but unfortunately not 100% flat. I would say the wood is right now 7/8" thick. I will only mill down as necessary. So maybe end up hopefully at a little more than 3/4".
            I don't plan on a frame for the top. Is that ok?

Comment

The hairpin legs might require a larger base for secure Attachment to the top.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

My general rule is... Make it as thick as you can meaning take as little off the thickness of the lumber as possible.

That being said you can make a table out of veneer if you wanted to. Ikea seems to get away with it.

Comment

I wouldn't build a table that large without an apron or frame of some sort. It will not only improve the strength but the appearance as well in my opinion.
                  Frank D. likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter53 View Post
                    Hi everyone,

Brand new to the forum - please be gentle.

Been woodworking for 3 years now - making stuff for myself and some family members. I've been reading and learning from everyone on this forum.

I started with making live edge tables, simple shelving (mostly pine) now trying my hand with consoles, coffee tables etc. Will even attempt making drawers. God help me!

I've come across some almost 1" thick black walnut D3S that I will mill to 3/4". Each board is about 5" wide. My question is, at 3/4" thickness will this be strong enough to make a dining table say 65" x 35"? Any chance of sagging? I'm planning on buying hairpin legs for a simple streamlined look.

Thanks everyone
                    Peter
                    I read in your other post that you have more timber than you need, I suggest for the table you are going to build you use more timber and build it better, the comments made above by the other guys make a lot of sense to me, you could glue 2 pieces together and put a thicker boarder around the top, 2 pieces glued together would be less likely to move with seasonal changes or rip a board in half and put that around the edge so the top looks to be 2 inch thick, that will be more pleasing to the eye as too thin looks weak, thick looks strong, then as said above an apron set back from the edge that the legs are fixed to, you will need a top fixing that allows the top to move with climate change, google it.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

I read in your other post that you have more timber than you need, I suggest for the table you are going to build you use more timber and build it better, the comments made above by the other guys make a lot of sense to me, you could glue 2 pieces together and put a thicker boarder around the top, 2 pieces glued together would be less likely to move with seasonal changes or rip a board in half and put that around the edge so the top looks to be 2 inch thick, that will be more pleasing to the eye as too thin looks weak, thick looks strong, then as said above an apron set back from the edge that the legs are fixed to, you will need a top fixing that allows the top to move with climate change, google it.
                      Thanks for the advice everyone. I will plan on an apron with cross grain support.

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                        It all kinda depends on what type of frame the table top will sit on.
                        There is the answer to sagging.

Comment

Working...
                        X