Lumber grade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber grade question

What do you consider No1 Grade White Cedar??? Then what do you expect to get when you order a bulk order from a saw mill??? How many of those boards should you deem unusable???

The reason why I am asking is because I sent an employee to get 30 8 foot 2x6 boards of No1 Quality White Cedar at the saw mill and he came back with at least 10 boards that had serious defects on the boards.. From Rot to black knots ( super loose knots unstable knots) I paid almost 500$ for this order so I was wondering what do you consider No1 Quality white Cedar.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Lumber grade question

in NZ we have a code for grading timber, do you in Canada? but then the saw mills try to get rid of the rubbish to anyone who does not complain, what are your options? take it back, how much do you buy a year are they grateful of your business, In NZ we have a consumer protection law that says a product has to be fit for purpose and rot is not fit for purpose, what are your laws? were you charged for the areas of rot and knots, next time send an employee you can trust.

Comment

We have a grader at work I'll ask him. But right now there is such a shortage of exterior lumber you are lucky to have gotten any. We are sold out of pressure-treated.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
        We have a grader at work I'll ask him. But right now there is such a shortage of exterior lumber you are lucky to have gotten any. We are sold out of pressure-treated.
        I have a sawmill within a few miles of where my shop is. He is running out of 1x6 boards... Doesn't have any 1x5 boards and the 2x6 I need to get a few weeks before because it's too green to work with. Add the fact that they where closed from March until Late April when my orders started to pile in I know I have white hair where the hair didn't fall out.

Plus I don't use PT in my shop. We build Cedar furniture and gardens most of the time and PT wouldn't allow me to do what I do most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
          in NZ we have a code for grading timber, do you in Canada? but then the saw mills try to get rid of the rubbish to anyone who does not complain, what are your options? take it back, how much do you buy a year are they grateful of your business, In NZ we have a consumer protection law that says a product has to be fit for purpose and rot is not fit for purpose, what are your laws? were you charged for the areas of rot and knots, next time send an employee you can trust.
          In Canada we have a wood grading system for sure. Most Construction lumber is graded at No2. Most furniture lumber is Select where it's clear of knots and major defects. It's what I got as No1 that I find hard to digest.

Comment

#1 can have black knots and bark, Select can have small knots no bark. It looks like you got what you bought if you wanted better you would have had to go with Select. Sorry
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

#1 can have black knots and bark, Select can have small knots no bark. It looks like you got what you bought if you wanted better you would have had to go with Select. Sorry
              Select is really hard to come by in White Cedar. It's a carnivorous tree so lots of knots. It wasn't exactly just the black Knots... There where places of rot. I don't know... Maybe I will just not let my employee buy lumber anymore.

Comment

I think you have just described the answer to the problem, Roy
                Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Yes this is true on materials i have purchased. I know that different lumbers have different grading guide lines. I am not sure what it is for white cedar.

Comment

Working...
                  X