Cedar for chair and table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar for chair and table

Does anyone know of a source of fairly clear red cedar to build 2 chairs and small table for a patio. Preferably within a reasonable drive of the GTA ? Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cedar for chair and table

i just search through the piles at lowes or hd. quite often you will find nice boards suitable for outdoor furniture.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I got some beautiful clear dry material for sauna benches at Central Fairbank a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
        i just search through the piles at lowes or hd. quite often you will find nice boards suitable for outdoor furniture.
        Trouble is that Lowes and Home Depot and Rona don't have much cedar. I was told by Home Depot staff that the boards are hard to get.

You could call someplace like Exotic Woods in Oakville to see how their stock is holding up. You can see their prices on their website, but not the quantities on hand.

I am waiting for somebody to get some stock for a couple of projects as well.

Comment

Atchison Lumber in Hamilton carry clear BC Cedar. Be prepared for sticker shock when you get there. Best now to call and investigate. I was researching in June and eneded up using some 5/4 deck wood that I shop dried in a couple of weeks. When redoing a deck, I bought 4x4 s and balusters from them five years ago. http://www.aitchisonlumber.com/
          Mike
          www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau

Comment

Try Century Mills Lumber in the Stouffville area or Peacock Lumber in Oshawa,
            Good luck,

Tim
            Howard In Toronto likes this.

Comment

I was going to say Aitchison in Hamilton also, I didn't get the sticker shock mentioned above on the 4*4s and 2*6s I bought... it was curbside pickup so I suspected not picking myself I'd get some banged up boards in my order, but not one, every board was high quality, straight, clean.

I've also bought cedar recently at the Wood Shed in Smithville... maybe a nickel or 2 more than Aitchison, but comparable pricing essentially and the quality of most of the boards was good.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys . stay healthy

Comment

Are you sure you want cedar for a chair?

It’s soft and weak.

I would suggest that you search for distillery district Douglas fir.

It’s reclaimed from the Gooderham and Woorts barrel house, stronger and cheaper than cedar...Rod
                  Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                    Are you sure you want cedar for a chair?

It’s soft and weak.
                    If there is Douglas fir available, I would love to get hold of it....

Rona, Lowes, etc sells picnic tables. Made out of pine, they sell for $150 to $200. Same table, same design, made out of cedar is $750 to $1,000.

Would they make a table out of cedar if it could not stand up?

Perhaps the weakness of cedar is relative to its thickness?

Comment

I got some nice 5/4 x 6" Cedar decking at Home Building Centre in Lindsay.
                      I don't know if you have one in your area but it might be worth looking into.
                      Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
                        If there is Douglas fir available, I would love to get hold of it....

Rona, Lowes, etc sells picnic tables. Made out of pine, they sell for $150 to $200. Same table, same design, made out of cedar is $750 to $1,000.

Would they make a table out of cedar if it could not stand up?

Perhaps the weakness of cedar is relative to its thickness?
                        Cedar is fine for construction type chairs, I assumed you were making chairs for around a table. I wouldn’t make anything aside from an Adirondack type chair out of cedar.

Regards, Rod.
                        WoodBob likes this.
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Woodshed has Doug Fir.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Cedar is fine for construction type chairs, I assumed you were making chairs for around a table. I wouldn’t make anything aside from an Adirondack type chair out of cedar.

Regards, Rod.
                            I have to agree with this. I was thinking white oak when I saw this project. If your budget allows I'd go teak actually or redwood.

Comment

Working...
                            X