Baltic Birch Plywood Grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltic Birch Plywood Grades

I use 3/8 Baltic birch for drawer bottoms. Most retail places that sell it offer only the one grade that will have fillers on both sides. It is also available clear on one side and about $10 a sheet. I get mine from Craftsman Lumber in Drayton

Brian
    Ron Gillatt likes this.
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Baltic Birch Plywood Grades

I just bought 3/4" from Commonwealth in North Bay at $44 a sheet (5 x 5), grade B4 according to the invoice.   Grade B allows fillers on both sides but no cracks or splits.
    The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

That should read about $10 a sheet ( 5 x 5 ) more than the ones with fillers on both sides.  

Brian

Comment

Not sure what grade I recently got but both sides are clear. As I was going through the pile, a few pieces had maybe a small blemish here and there which I did not take but probably 90% of the pile you could have used either side as finished for any project where it is visible. I bought 3 of the same 1/2" sheet for drawer boxes and bottoms. The fronts will be solid Cherry. I only had the option of 1/4, 1/2 or 23/32" widths. 3/8ths would have been great for drawer bottoms.  

Prices were $28, $45 and $55 for each 4'x8' size, respectively.  

Comment

I think you will find Baltic Birch in 4' x 8' sheet size is made in USA and not true Baltic Birch. Veneers will be slightly thicker and will also have voids depending on grade. True Baltic Birch ply comes from the Baltic countries of Europe and is usually sold in 5' x 5' sheet size. Last time I was in US I checked out the "Baltic" birch in HD and Lowes, neither looked anything like the stuff I buy here from lumber yards. HD and Lowes here also has different stuff they call "Baltic" I'm pretty sure the North American plywood industry has jumped on the popularity and is producing a pretty standard core with birch veneers on the outside and calling it Baltic Birch. So buyer beware!
          smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roundhead View Post
            I think you will find Baltic Birch in 4' x 8' sheet size is made in USA and not true Baltic Birch. Veneers will be slightly thicker and will also have voids depending on grade. True Baltic Birch ply comes from the Baltic countries of Europe and is usually sold in 5' x 5' sheet size. Last time I was in US I checked out the "Baltic" birch in HD and Lowes, neither looked anything like the stuff I buy here from lumber yards. HD and Lowes here also has different stuff they call "Baltic" I'm pretty sure the North American plywood industry has jumped on the popularity and is producing a pretty standard core with birch veneers on the outside and calling it Baltic Birch. So buyer beware!
            Actually it is just marketed as "Birch Plywood". They don't list it as "Baltic" at all. I didn't think that really made a difference does it? I thought that was just marketing. Birch is Birch I would think.  

I just found an article on Baltic Birch Plywood. It looks like it is a significantly better product. I am not sure I can get it at all around here I will check it out for future projects.  

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/bl...hen-to-use-it/
            Last edited by WoodBob; 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post

Actually it is just marketed as "Birch Plywood". They don't list it as "Baltic" at all. I didn't think that really made a difference does it? I thought that was just marketing. Birch is Birch I would think.  
              I bought a bunch of the (non-Baltic) birch plywood from Lowes and also from Windsor plywood for shop cabinets. I can attest it is much lower quality than real Baltic birch. It is also about $40 per 4x8 sheet, compared to almost double for Birch plywood from Windsor (at least last time I checked). For shop cabinets the lower quality birch plywood is fine, I would not use it for any 'nicer' projects.
              smallerstick likes this.

Comment

In the US, as competitor to Baltic Birch, they manufacture Appleply. All hardwood veneer core with typically maple outside veneer, although any hardwood can be used. There’s no apple wood in it. Its nice stuff. The Appleply name comes from “as American as apple pie”

Comment

Appleply is an Asian manufactured plywood. Have talked to their sales people at trade shows. They claim to maintain very strong quality control over the manufacturer that they claim is missing in a lot of Asian Mills.
                  Brian
                  stotto likes this.

Comment

You get the real Ruskie symbols on the face of the Baltic birch and it only comes in 5X5 or 5X10.   Most of the other stuff is imitation or Chinese made stuff that has voids, inferior lamination, or surface imperfections that are not dutched fixed up that well.
                    Kevin

Comment

Back in 2006 when I worked in the lumber dept of Home Depot in Woodstock, a local cabinet maker ordered 10 lifts of 5x5 baltic birch. They came in large plywood boxes and stamped made in Russia. A few months later, another shipment would arrive, and he would show up a day later and haul it off. No idea if Home Depots baltic birch came from Russia.
                      sigpic
                      hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Working...
                      X