Probably overthinking this but . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably overthinking this but . . .

The current part of my ongoing updates & reno's to my very old house is in the kitchen. After much thought and debate I have decided to replace the current counters with Maple with an under mount white granite sink. Now my dilemma! It makes sense to use the template and then rough cut the sink hole with a jig saw, but how do I smooth the edges? I assumed a router but how? what bit? Dont want to mess up this amazing slab of Maple!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Probably overthinking this but . . .

I would make a template, taking care to make sure the sides are straight & the curves are fair. Then use a spiral pattern bit to finish the rough opening in the slab. A compression bit will cause the least amount of tear out, top & bottom.

Comment

I always just cut the opening a sixteenth small, then sand down the excess wood. Lee Valley sells a hand held drum sander on a flex attachment that works nicely on the inside corners.

Comment

You're getting a natural stone sink made of white granite?

Comment

I do what Frank suggested only on solid surface using a spiral uncut carbide bit.Guide bushing in your router and there will be a minimum of sanding required. Make the cough cut with a jig saw

Brian
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
          X