Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinner table legs base warped, how to reattach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinner table legs base warped, how to reattach?

Hi folks,

Just looking for some advice.

We have a nice dinner table with solid ash base that got warped most likely from moisture (see pictures). It pulled out the screws out of the melamine covered particle board that holds a pretty heavy stone top. I am wondering how you would go about repairing it.

Can I glue the base, put in a few new screws and clamp it down? I am concerned that the base warped a good amount and it’s solid hardwood, will it straighten out? What is the best type of adhesive to use here.

Or should I leave the base warped and put something in between the base and the tabletop (my only concern is to secure it, it doesn’t have to look pretty and even with warped base you can’t tell looking at the table.) What kind of material would make a good filler?

Thanks in advance
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dinner table legs base warped, how to reattach?

Hi, it looks to me that the particle board has warped, not the base.

i would take the top off and determine which is warped.

Some photographs of the top side of the table would be helpful.Regards, Rod
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

[QUOTE=Inthewoods;n1292192]melamine covered particle board that holds a pretty heavy stone top/QUOTE]

I'm really confused by this statement....Is there a piece of particle board with a stone top sitting on top of it? Or is it a piece of particle board with laminate attached to the top of it?   As Rod mentioned, we need more pictures of the top and a picture showing the stone top sitting on the particle board (if indeed they are two separate parts).

If the base is warped, then it would not sit level on the floor, but would rock on three legs.
      the other Ken
      ------
      "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

It is hard to see what exactly is going on by just the photo's.   You should be able to use a forstner bit and drill out a bit more and glue in a repair patch in the new larger hole.   You won't want to go right through.   You should dissemble this table and use a 6 foot level to check if it is flat and level on the base.   If not you will need to ensure the humidity level in the wood is correct before you fix the base.   You'll want to joint/plane to draw it back flat/squared off.   It would be great before proceeding if you can add more detailed photographs to ensure those repair procedures would work for your situation. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X