Cutting 15inch planer blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 15inch planer blades

Not sure if this is the right section or not.I recently bought an old 8in Wheatley jointer and want to replace the blades. I have some brand new 15inch planer blades that don't have a planer to belong to, so I am wondering if anyone has cut down larger blades into smaller ones before?
    See ya
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cutting 15inch planer blades

Yes I have cut 300mm planer blades in half to go in my 150mm planer, what is it you want to know?

Comment

Thanks for reply. I am just wondering if there would be any issues with hardness.I am overthinking likely, as it is not difficult to keep it cool while cutting.
      See ya

Comment

If they are HSS blades then they have to be red hot before it affects the heat treat. Just don't dip them in cold water or spray them to cool them off. Let them cool down on their own. Rapid chilling of the hot blade causes cracks in the surface of the metal. This applies to all HSS tools. Turning tools for instance. The metal getting blue doesn't matter like it does with carbon steel.
        Pete

Comment

I don't think I will be doing afterall.The planer knives I was considering cutting look a lot thinner than the blades in the machine and they are quite a bit taller.I am sure the cutting angles are the same though.If I do, I would likely cool with compressed air.
          See ya

Comment

Originally posted by Bob in Windsor View Post
            I don't think I will be doing afterall.The planer knives I was considering cutting look a lot thinner than the blades in the machine and they are quite a bit taller.I am sure the cutting angles are the same though.If I do, I would likely cool with compressed air.

Comment

A company like moldingknives.com

Comment

Balance is also important. The blades need to weigh the same after cutting.

Comment

my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

The ones I cut and used I cut with a steel cut off disc on a hand held grinder I ground a bevel on the end in case I need to rebate on the machine, yes it went blue on the end but then it does very little work so no big deal, the knives were a little wider so protruded out of the cutter block a little more and makes more noise as it beats the air other than that it makes no difference, I have cut a few now and have no problems with the end result, straight square timber that is usable, that is all that matters.

Comment

I may give it a whirl and see what happens.I doubt a bandsaw would cut through hss, the compressed air would work fine to cool them down after going through with a cutoff wheel.Squaring the end on a mill is easy enough with a carbide endmill.If I do this, I will post some pics.
                      See ya

Comment

Originally posted by Bob in Windsor View Post
                        I may give it a whirl and see what happens.I doubt a bandsaw would cut through hss, the compressed air would work fine to cool them down after going through with a cutoff wheel.Squaring the end on a mill is easy enough with a carbide endmill.If I do this, I will post some pics.

Comment

I would think the blades should break easily if scored first with a Drexel tool cutoff disc. Smooth up the ends with a grinder or sander.
                          Last edited by Egon; 08-05-2020, 08:06 AM.
                          Egon
                          from
                          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2350001A.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1292577