• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn boards

Cheers
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Barn boards

depends on the quantity of old barns around!
    lots of them coming down around here, barn boards here are usually pine or hemlock and sell for $2 bdft
    barn timbers(beams and floor joists) are typically white oak, walnut, chestnut or even cherry and sell for 3-5 per bd ft
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
      depends on the quantity of old barns around!
      lots of them coming down around here, barn boards here are usually pine or hemlock and sell for $2 bdft
      barn timbers(beams and floor joists) are typically white oak, walnut, chestnut or even cherry and sell for 3-5 per bd ft
      Last edited by John Bartley; 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Here in Quebec, there are business going up selling barn boards, beams and also selling tables and other furniture made from of it. If it’s a fad, it’s still going strong. It seems everywhere you look, it’s barn board everything.

sophie

Comment

Last edited by callee; 08-13-2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

One of the big troubles with "barn board" wass that people with buildings on recreational property were losing their barn boards to theft. I haven't seen it in the news recently, but a few years ago there were regular reports of people finding that the boards were missing from the "not visible from the road" side of sheds or barns.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

In our area, years ago there were companies that would pay farmers to tear down old barns for the boards. Now they are paid to take them down and take the boards.
              Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

I have seen some projects that were done with them. A few years ago my sister in law had her hubby do a sliding panel with barn door type roller and track hardware. I don't recall what she paid for the pine boards, but I recall being shocked at the time.

I have paid a premium for some really nice reclaimed American Chestnut from old barns, but I milled it to new sizes in all cases. The closest I came to using it as "barn wood" was when I took the very lightest possible pass off of a big plank and then re saw a thing cut off of the face of the very wide plank to maintain the patina near the surface. It was a stunning piece of wood. I got the sound boards for a pair of musical instruments out of it. Sadly the plank belonged to the customer who commissioned the work and wanted the remainder of the wood back even the small scraps. The customer happened to be an artist and the son of one of my wood suppliers. He was a good friend to have since he kept his eye out for things he knew I'd like and set them aside for me sometimes gifting them to me.

Comment

Working...
                X