Veneers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneers

On our local auction web site I see some burl veneers, no one wanted them, the price was halved, I just could not resist, now I think its elm mostly and mahogany, i do have a large elm burl but this is veneer, so what to do with it all?
    I would like to use a piece on a bowl lid so I have started by gluing a piece to some backing wood I have used PVA and if I do it again I will use epoxy, I started by wetting the veneer to make it softer, I did use too much PVA and a lot of it came through the face of the veneer but I do have a result and its ready to use.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Veneers

Follow me on Instagram
    Or like my page on Facebook
    This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Nice goodies. What you might try is to cut veneer wedges and place them so they radiate out from the centre of the lid like they do with fancy tables. A nice finial would take the pressure of getting an absolutely perfect glue up.

Comment

About the same time I received the veneer I also got this piece of native Totara, I wanted to see how they both worked so had some fun and this is the result after a couple of weeks of on and off play.
        The Totara is different in that it has an oil in it that prevents many finishes curing and my Osmo oil is slow to dry,
        The top after I had finished it felt heavy and in the process of trying to lighten it I exposed the joint where I had inset the piece I had veneered hence the black line, so a few things learnt along the way, how to cover the mistakes.
        Fun on a wood lathe.
        KenL, QC Inspector and 2 others like this.

Comment

Try using hide glue and hammer veneering

Comment

Very nice, Bob.
            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Is the first photo the Totara? If it is, it looks like about a million bowls.

Comment

Very nice Bob
                BW

Comment

Originally posted by gdtrfg View Post
                  Is the first photo the Totara? If it is, it looks like about a million bowls.
                  The indigenous people of NZ used totara for carving, they had big carvings both in and outside of there meeting houses and that piece I now have came from a family who's father was a master carver and did a lot of work on the marae (meeting house) here when it was rebuilt have a look around at this to understand what I am saying https://www.mataatua.com/ this piece would certainly have been cut with the intention of it being carved.
                  When I first came to NZ we would get totara sashes to hang in the windows we made, they had to be primed with a special primer paint because most paints won't dry on totara.
                  Years ago I managed to get some big beams of totara that were pulled out of an old house and I built myself a set of drawers (first photo) I don't remember the dust effecting my sinuses the way I have been affected when turning this last bowl so maybe this is why it is used for carving, it splits easily its dust is unhealthy it is quite soft and easy to work with a chisel.
                  I am unsure what I will do with this piece of wood but I do think some of it deserves to be carved. 

Comment

That case is from the same wood? Amazing what is hidden under grime and dust.

Comment

Working...
                    X