Best rust remover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best rust remover.

It was maintenance day today...You know take care of odds and Ends.Like taking surface rust off my machines and rewaxing them.

I use carb cleaner to take off surface rust and it seems to work great for that.  What do you guys use??
    Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
    Or like my page on Facebook
    Subscribe on Youtube
    This is my website www.matteout.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Best rust remover.

I usually use some WD40 and a Scotch brite pad, maybe some steel wool... It's just what I have around I guess.
    bogmer likes this.

Comment

The important thing is to neutralize the rust you can’t see!
      bogmer likes this.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

CLR or Vinegar.
        bogmer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
          CLR or Vinegar.
          I will give CLR a try.  I still have one machine that I didn't take care of yesterday with the Carb cleaner so why not try something new... WHo knows I might like it better. 
          Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

I am told that Coca-Cola also removes rust very effectively. I have never tried it, fearing that the cleanup afterwards may be worse than the rust ....
            bogmer likes this.

Comment

Coca Cola = phosphoric acid
              bogmer likes this.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

So I tried the CLR... A lot of rubbing  and it left this white residue.  I just want to know is there an easy way to get that residue off. 
                Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

I thought Mythbusters disproved the whole Coca-Cola rust removal method? Home Hardware used to sell a rust remover that was phosphoric acid and worked well but they probably don't carry it any more. I have also heard Hydrogen Peroxide either alone or with baking soda but have not tried yet.  
                  bogmer likes this.
                  Be careful when you follow the masses...sometimes the 'm' is silent.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                    CLR or Vinegar.
                    After trying the CLR... Don't bother. It did take out the rust but I wonder if it was me rubbing or the actual CLR doing it. It's really not worth because after a couple of days the rust just came back worst than it was before I used it.

In other words do not use CLR on your tablesaw.

I now have a table saw ready for vinegar... I will try this and get back to you...

Right now carb cleaner worked the best for me
                    Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

[QUOTE=bogmer;n1296180]

After trying the CLR... Don't bother. It did take out the rust but I wonder if it was me rubbing or the actual CLR doing it. It's really not worth because after a couple of days the rust just came back worst than it was before I used it.

In other words do not use CLR on your tablesaw./QUOTE]

I am most underwhelmed by CLR. It definitely does not work well as a rust remover, and doesn't seem to remove scale any better than vinegar.

Comment

clr works on my shower head if It soaks in it for a couple of days. Vinegar is an acid, it will cause corrosion if not removed completely.

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

In other words do not use CLR on your tablesaw.

I now have a table saw ready for vinegar... I will try this and get back to you...

Right now carb cleaner worked the best for me
                          I am surprised. I have used CLR "Rust Remover" for years with great success. CLR has several products. This is the one I have used, BUT .... I see that it is now advertised as "environmentally safe" etc, which is all fine and good, but that is not the bottle that I have ... Maybe they have changed it.

EDIT :: a bit of research shows that they took the Phosphoric Acid out .... so that they could advertise it as "phosphates free". Hmph!

This is the "new" bottle:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CLR.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.1 KB ID:	1296208

This (below) is what I always used ::

Click image for larger version  Name:	CLR2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	1296209
                          Last edited by John Bartley; 09-11-2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

For years I have used citric acid from the wine shops. Mixes with hot water and very cheap. I don’t leave metal there overnight, I monitor it and scrape with a brass brush to remove the black oxides. Once rust is gone, hot water rinse, treat with WD40 to drive moisture from the cracks and crevices. Good to go.
                            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

OK, dumb question time. Why not use an actual rust remover? The automotive section of most hardware stores is full of various product design to remove rust. It doesn't matter if its body steel or saw steel.

Comment

Working...
                              X