Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best rust remover.

Naval jelly works well.

However the rust is removed it should be followed by a neutralizer.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Glenn McBride View Post
      I have also heard Hydrogen Peroxide either alone or with baking soda but have not tried yet.
      I would be very surprised if it didn't make things worse. Hydrogen Peroxide is water with an extra Oxygen atom that is loosely bonded to the molecule. It will jump to the next atom with a stronger molecular attraction, the Iron in your saw's table. Water by itself is problem enough but to add more Oxygen to the equation makes no sense to me.

I have use Evaporust (LV has it) a little and would use it or try the other product LV sells that works the same way. If it was a big rust removal job I would try electrolysis. Other stores sell them along with similar products but I patronize those that are woodworking focused.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...t?item=56Z8061

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ntrate-and-gel

Pete

Comment

WD-40 and 400 grit. Clean up with naptha (lighter fluid) and then wax. I make up a combination of furniture wax and about 25% 3 in 1 oil.

If I ever find anything really heavy I think I will just invest in some Evapo-rust, but I haven't yet.
        Last edited by Jim DaddyO; 09-12-2020, 12:37 PM.
        More stuff of mine at:
        http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
          Naval jelly works well.

However the rust is removed it should be followed by a neutralizer.
          I have used this as well, on steel, but not on cast iron. Don't know why it wouldn't work well. As Egon said, follow with a neutralizer.
          Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver 16-Fluid Ounce (553472)

Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

All it is is surface rust right guys... It's not like supper pitted embeded crusty rust. It's the stuff that starts to show up when the wax starts to go on the tablesaw.
            Follow me on Instagram
            Or like my page on Facebook
            This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

When I get "new" (read:used) tools with cast iron surfaces in need of some TLC, I've always used WD40 and super, superfine scotchbrite-type pads on an older ROS I have laying around. (This last time I tried out the Mirka pads they sell at LV. Going 1600-2200) Then I clean the top off with lacquer thinner, and then use white scotchbrite (the one with no abrasives) to apply just a little bit of Maguires #26 car polish. Really go at it buffing it off with shop towels after. It's pretty dry here so that helps, but it's kept the rust off for a loooong time. When the tops are looking a little dirty, or at the first sign of some staining I just reapply the #26 with a really fine grit pad.

For rust on small parts I just recently did a batch using an electrolysis tank with an old PC power supply. It made the job so easy. Took only a couple hours and all the deep rust was gone.
              bogmer likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I use a purple Scotchbrite belt on my belt sander to remove surface rust from a new-to-me bandsaw.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	before.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.3 KB ID:	1297558
                Click image for larger version  Name:	after2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	1297559
                tool fan and bogmer like this.

Comment

Brass wire wheel on a drill seems to work well for me. Wipe it down with acetone (but don't think it's really necessary), then follow up with a bit of wax.

Comment

Working...
                  X