First workbench sort of complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First workbench sort of complete

This was a lot more work than I thought, but thoroughly enjoyed building it. I know there's a lot of people on here that say a workbench is to be abused and isn't "Furniture" but as my 3rd project ever I put a lot of care into it. The other things I've made were a 1/8th inch dovetail box at a course at Lee Valley by Vic Tesolin, super fun. And a little tiny shelf thing with tusked tenons (used shou sugi ban wood burning technique to hide my sloppy mortises lol). And I guess the stool in these photos was also made while I was waiting for glue-ups to dry.

Full album of the build: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nUtAXjmcskF1CC2p6

Huge thanks to Slanted7 for selling me his planer and jointing a side of each of the 2x6's for 3 legs and both long stretchers (3 2x6's each)!!

Some pine from Home Depot, some from Windsor Plywood (Calgary).
    The Splitter is Arariba and Maple
    The vise jaws are Padauk (love that wood.. cost as much as the bench though!)
    Tenon pins are Oak dowels ..I think? I dunno.

Few things to do as I need them. Dog holes in the right leg for a holdfast to support the vise, and if / when I get a tail vise it'll probably be the Veritas inset vise.
    Dog holes to go in on the top in front of the vise as well.

It's not perfect. I should have had a jointer to make the splitter, and more clamps. I thought I'd get away with it, but there are some gaps I'm disappointed in. The plan is to route a recess into the maple in the middle to hide the gaps a little, which will double as pencil holders

It's a small bench, but it's a beast. I estimate 200-250lbs maybe? I'll probably rest the legs on hockey pucks in the winter as it won't get used much sadly. (no insulation - might get a radiant heater for fall / spring / chinook days in Calgary). And try to seal the end grain on the feet with wood glue or some left over poly glue. Not sure.

Suggestions or ideas welcome - I may not take your advise though

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1296060
    Last edited by bswiftly; 09-09-2020, 09:09 PM.
    Kpaull, Frank D. and 11 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: First workbench sort of complete

Love it.
    Follow me on Instagram
    Or like my page on Facebook
    This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Wow Nice work!
      The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Good job!
        Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Excellent !!

Comment

Fantastic looking work bench

Comment

Excellent!

What are the dimensions of the top?

I have seen some workbenches with slots in the splitter. That way, sitting one way (slots down) the splitter is flush with the surface. Turned over (slots up), it sticks up a bit, useful for bracing stuff against.

Comment

Nice work. The hockey pucks as pads is a very good idea.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
                  Excellent!

What are the dimensions of the top?

I have seen some workbenches with slots in the splitter. That way, sitting one way (slots down) the splitter is flush with the surface. Turned over (slots up), it sticks up a bit, useful for bracing stuff against.

60" long. The near half is a little shorter than the far half by 1 board. (1 1/4" or so) and the total width is just under 25". The splitter does sit proud when flipped over by 5/8ths. And i found at a 5/8ths gap in the middle it was perfect for holding my chisels and pull saw.

Comment

That's nice.
                    But no one's bench is ever big enough.
                    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                      That's nice.
                      But no one's bench is ever big enough.
                      You sound like my ex-wife!

Comment

Awesome bench! My woodworking definitely stepped up a notch once I built a proper bench and I'm sure yours will too. Those are some nice looking castors and seems like a great way to keep the bench mobile without having to worry about it moving while using it.

A couple suggestions for the future, just based on what I did with my own bench;

- End vise, you already mentioned putting one in, my bench has a Veritas twin screw vise the full width of the bench. Great for end vise duties but also sweet for holding wide boards for dovetailing. I also used a Veritas quick release wonder dog when I was in an area too small to fit the end vise, it was a cost effective solution.
                        - A shelf or drawers below the bench. I have several drawers beneath my bench for storage with a gap between the bench top and top of the drawer unit so that holdfasts can still work, and it also doubles as a storage shelf for my bench jigs.

Comment

Originally posted by nugsthecat View Post
                          Awesome bench! My woodworking definitely stepped up a notch once I built a proper bench and I'm sure yours will too. Those are some nice looking castors and seems like a great way to keep the bench mobile without having to worry about it moving while using it.

A couple suggestions for the future, just based on what I did with my own bench;

- End vise, you already mentioned putting one in, my bench has a Veritas twin screw vise the full width of the bench. Great for end vise duties but also sweet for holding wide boards for dovetailing. I also used a Veritas quick release wonder dog when I was in an area too small to fit the end vise, it was a cost effective solution.
                          - A shelf or drawers below the bench. I have several drawers beneath my bench for storage with a gap between the bench top and top of the drawer unit so that holdfasts can still work, and it also doubles as a storage shelf for my bench jigs.
                          I can't do a full width end vide because of the split top but I will get a vise in there at some point.

I'll at least put a shelf on the bottom. I built the stretchers to accept a ledge where I can make a plywood shelf. I don't know about drawers etc. Maybe just a few removable boxes or something for the shelf.

It's already helped make quick work on finishing a project from the end of last summer.

I do plan on getting or making some pop up dogs at least for the vise jaws.

Although cheap DIY dowel dogs are a thought too.

Thanks for the compliment!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X