Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture content fluctuation in wood cookies

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, I cut a few 3/8" coasters (approx 4" in diameter) from an Oak branch that my neighbour had cut down. They've been air drying since then and the moisture content fluctuates between 8.5% and 10.5%. Goes up and down from day to day. Would this be considered the "equilibrium"? Would I be okay to proceed with planing them and applying poly? Or should I be waiting for further drying?

Apologies if this is a rookie question. It's one of my first shots at air drying wood, and my first for making wood cookies.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by paulsz; 09-09-2020, 09:46 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Moisture content fluctuation in wood cookies

A couple of months is a bit soon but at 3/8" you are probably getting a correct reading, try weighting them and see how they change week to week, I had some wet timber I turned into rough bowls at the end of last year I weighed them in February at the height of our summer by August our winter they were heavier, every one of them, I turned 2 successfully so they were dry, the moisture content does go up and down with the conditions.
    paulsz likes this.

Comment

One way to get a good base level for your moisture content is to measure some wood you have had on hand for a long time. If it is in the 8-10% range your cookies are fine to use.
      paulsz likes this.

Comment

Thank you! I'll weigh the cookies for the next little while. And I'll compare to some other wood I have in the same room that is a couple of years old

Comment

I take it these are not big (4" x 3/8").  Asking anyone who knows ... could they be put into a warm oven for a half day or so to dry?  Now that they're well air dried how is the risk of radial cracking.
          paulsz likes this.

Comment

small disks of wood 10 mm/3/8 " thick of endgrain wood would have been dry in a matter of a couple of weeks, if kept in the house, the moisture content will go to the surrounding air, and since it is so thin it will move with the air's humidity quickly, IMO you are safe to finish it now, the best thing is to keep it on a rack now for a couple of days so both sides will be equal in dryness.

I would not chance it to try to make it dryer than the condition it will be in, doesn't make sense to me as it will change to the condition it is kept in, albeit at a slower pace if coated all over.
            John Bartley, paulsz and LeftFinger like this.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

They've been sitting on 4 nails to ensure top and bottom are getting dried fairly equally since i cut them, so they may be good to go. Thanks for the clarifications!

Comment

Working...
              X