Renting Time on a Large Planer (pieces are 35" wide & 16' long) - GTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting Time on a Large Planer (pieces are 35" wide & 16' long) - GTA

Hi all, I am new to woodworking and just purchased a couple of live edge black walnut slabs which I will be using for our countertops.

Are there any shops in the Mississauga area which rent time on large planers?

I am aware of one, but it is a bit far: The Kopper Mill Inc. in Ajax, not sure how to get the slabs all the way there; only have a smaller SUV.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Renting Time on a Large Planer (pieces are 35" wide & 16' long) - GTA

You're gonna have to transport it, if it's in Ajax or Mississauga. How were you going to do that?

Have you thought about flattening at home with other methods? like a large router sled?

Legacy Lumber is in mississauga
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Thanks Scott, for the transport, I was thinking of renting a truck so lower mileage would be preferable.

I'm just starting out so don't have much in the way of tools or a work shop yet. Using a large planer seemed like the the easiest and most convenient way of doing this.

Comment

Call first to ensure they will allow you to plane something you brought in. Local shops around here won't unless you purchased the wood from them.

Comment

Skip a truck, and go for a trailer.
          djnelson, LeftFinger and Wood Grower like this.
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

I would go for a router and sled. Good excuse to get a router and the experience will be worthwhile.
            ZeroCool248 and Kayak Jim like this.
            The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

The amount it cost me for new blades I am always skeptic when somebody asks me to plane something. Who knows what is in that wood and at least if it's my fault I can be ok with taking the blame.
              Follow me on Instagram
              Or like my page on Facebook
              This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

I think exotic woods in Oakville might surface a large slab that is new wood for a fee.

Comment

I would look for a shop with a large belt sander.
                  stotto and the_other_ken like this.
                  sigpic
                  hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

You might try Century Mill in Stouffville. That is a very big hunk of lumber so you options will be limited.To get a good planed side you need a jointed side.Is one side flat enough for a planer?
                    Last edited by dwoody; 09-12-2020, 07:11 PM.
                    JimPTBO likes this.

Comment

Not yet. Both sides are live edge. It's currently sitting at the sawmill

Comment

Do you have an "end state" defined?
                        By that I mean what size will the counters be? You could cut the slabs (keeping them oversized a bit) to a more reasonable size?

35" wide is kitchen island top width, not counter top width. So why not rough cut the slab to 25" wide? Same idea with the length, oversized a bit to make it more managable. Saw mill may even be able to do that for you.
                        [insert something witty here]

Comment

You said you were new and that the slabs were still at the mill. Are the slabs dry? If not they will certainly move around a fair bit. A rule of thumb for air drying is a year per inch of thickness. Kiln drying much faster of course but you should get the wood to 10-12% moisture range before working it too much (other than cutting to very rough size as Tom mentioned)

Comment

Originally posted by Haisam10 View Post
                            Not yet. Both sides are live edge. It's currently sitting at the sawmill
                            What Dennis is referring to when he states a jointed side, is the face of the slab not the edges. One side of your slab will need to be face jointed, that is flattened true across its width and length before it can be thickness planed.

This will be quite the project for you to take on. Working with slabs that large is a daunting task even for an experienced woodworker. Equipment/transport issues aside there are a lot of things to consider and learn. Tom and Jim bring up good points. These all need to be factored in to your project plans.

Got any pictures of the slabs? Is there any pith to contend with?

Comment

Working...
                            X