Summer Covid Project - Beach Swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Covid Project - Beach Swing

I strayed into the flat world this summer and built this beach swing. My wife has been eyeing one our neighbour has at our cottage on Lake Erie. He bought a porch swing kit and built the A-frame support. On a walk in June, I took some pictures and basic measurements, printed them out and they became my working plans. As I got more into it, I refined the design somewhat and took a few more shots and measurements as needed. I used BC cedar deck boards as a reasonably priced wood, strong enough and fairly good weather resistance. It will age with no finish. I had some end-cuts from a deck our kids did and bought 4 10 foot boards. They were a little damp so I cut in half and stickered in my shop with a fan for about a week and they dried down nicely. I planed the seat and back slats down about an 1/8 of an inch and used other pieces at full thickness, excepting the arm rests. The seat and back are just under 60" wide. I got interrupted in July with some Covid like symptoms that turned out to be pancreatitis but got back at it in August and finished before Labour Day weekend. Had lots of help that weekend to take the pieces down to the beach and reassemble. In fact I pretty much sat and looked on. That is what family is about! Looking forward to sitting and rockin and watching and listening to the surf. We will take the bench off the beach for the winter and probably the frame. With the high water levels and winter winds it can get pretty wild.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200906_162332 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	356.6 KB ID:	1296305 Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished beach swing_1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	446.1 KB ID:	1296306
    Bob just past Ayr, Bryan @ Woodstock and 2 others like this.
    Mike
    www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Summer Covid Project - Beach Swing

Very nice simple design that works quite well. One question though, the cup holder looks tight,will it hold a beer or wine glass?
    Bill

Comment

Oh yes. The hole is 3" in diameter. I tested with a few beverages. The arm rests took a lot of thought. I dummied up with a piece of masonite to figure out various holes. Since cedar is not the strongest wood, I wanted to leave a 1/2" and the arms are 4". I could have reduced the depth of the cup holder somewhat but I had already done the arm support a second time and wanted the thing done. Used to turning projects that are done in a few hours at most.
      Last edited by Mike Brazeau; 09-12-2020, 09:57 AM. Reason: added information
      Mike

Comment

Looks really nice, Mike.
        Sorry to read about the pancreatitis.  Hope that's a first and last occurrence.
        Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
          Looks really nice, Mike.
          Sorry to read about the pancreatitis. Hope that's a first and last occurrence.
          Thanks Noel. So do I. I had the second dose of Shingrix Shingles vaccine on the previous Thursday afternoon and nausea and dry heaves started Monday evening. Booked a Covid test in Milton on Tuesday morning for 8:30 AM wednesday. By 9 AM, I was in ER. Blood work which showed highly elevated white cell count, Xray followed by CT scan led to diagnosis Wednesday afternoon. By 10:30 Thursday morning, doctor said I would likely go home Friday, which I did about noon. Totally wierd. No meds except saline IV with Dextrose and some morphine for back pain on Wednesday afternoon. No alcohol for three months which is not a big deal as I really only have a light beer 2-3 times a week. 0 alcohol beer for now and hoping it does not return.
          beachburl likes this.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X