TV Stand/thread organizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Stand/thread organizer

My wife wanted a TV stand and it had to be the same width as the TV and she didn't want a large open shelf with a lot of junk on it. She didn't like the look of drawers on any store bought ones she saw either. I had some ash in the shop with no use in mind so i went about designing and building what she wanted. The drawers are there but concealed behind doors. The panels are just made from those packages of wainscoting you can buy at the hardware store ... i had some kicking around and run a "V" bit down the centre to make them look narrower then they are. After i had built it she didn't want to pack the storage space with the usual junk that gets thrown into one of these things so it stayed empty for a while. She complained one day about all the thread she had stuck in boxes with no organization so i suggested using some of that unused space in here TV cabinet and she agreed and as you can see on the left of the cabinet it was done. This cabinet is quite heavy but it could easily be made with maple plywood or whatever is handy. I made the drawer slides so it didn't cost me a thing to make except the electricity to run a few tools. I took it right to the floor so that there was no place for dust to gather underneath. The floor is white pine I put down 20 years ago, stained Early American and topped off with water based varathane.
    dwoody, smallerstick and 4 others like this.
    Wayne
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: TV Stand/thread organizer

NIce !! Great idea for the thread storage and I've always liked painted two-tone furniture. That pretty much matches what's in my kitchen

Comment

After building the new TV stand i asked my wife what she was going to do with the old one. She said set it out at the road to get rid of it. I said I'm not going to do that because i have a spot for it. She bought it 25 years ago for about $99 and you just had to put it together. I stripped off all the old stain and varnish. I thickened the top, put a drawer where the set top box used to sit and made new doors with some new hinges and put glass in them. She stained the top and painted the bottom. It is kind of plain to see why this little stand didn't really go well underneath that big tv she has but it works well beside where i sit in the mud room.
      Les Groeller likes this.
      Wayne

Comment

Great job and nice to see furniture repurposed instead of thrown out.

Vince

Comment

Excellent use/reuse of materials and a good functional design as well.
          The "wood on white" style is a favourite of ours too. I have recently completed a couple of kitchen cabinets in this style.
          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Working...
          X