Bee hives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bee hives

I haven't thoroughly read all the replies here, so my apologies if I repeat something.

BUT, Google "bee keeping forums" and you will get a list of forums, like this one that will cover everything about the art.!

There is a forum for everything in today's social media world.
    bogmer and Wood Grower like this.
    Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

It's a hobby today that many people are getting into.
      When it comes to bees in Ontario, there isn't a hobby.  There is a bee keeper, and a government that involves itself in every aspect of people's lives including bee keeping.  Look into it, ignorance isn't an appropriate legal defense should they decide to investigate you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post

When it comes to bees in Ontario, there isn't a hobby.  There is a bee keeper, and a government that involves itself in every aspect of people's lives including bee keeping.  Look into it, ignorance isn't an appropriate legal defense should they decide to investigate you.
        I'm not sure what level of oversight you are referring to, but the Ontario Gov't site doesn't seem to indicate anything super serious.

Here's the link :

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...egulations.htm

After a quick read through, my impression is that it's no more onerous than any other regulated business or hobby.

Comment

I am not selling used equipment or selling bees themselves. I should be fine. but I will read up on it some more.
          Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
          Or like my page on Facebook
          Subscribe on Youtube
          This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

The most important thing, IMO, is the right dimensions. There is something known as "bee space." Too much space between parts and they'll fill with wax comb; too little and they will fill with propolis. This is known as "bee glue" and creates a sticky mess. I started beekeeping in 1982.

Comment

1x12x8 Pine Board , $15.53 . Cape Breton Island . Langstroth Deep Super purchased $15.95 . We purchase them now instead of making .

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Harold , Cape Breton View Post
                1x12x8 Pine Board , $15.53 . Cape Breton Island . Langstroth Deep Super purchased $15.95 . We purchase them now instead of making .
                Where I live I can get a 1x12 from my current supplier for around 6$. From a home depot type of store then yeah around 20$ is the cost... Just shows you the markup that these companies put on wood. That is insane in my book.
                Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

Where I live I can get a 1x12 from my current supplier for around 6$. From a home depot type of store then yeah around 20$ is the cost... Just shows you the markup that these companies put on wood. That is insane in my book.
                  Yes, the insanity over $$ is correct. But equally onerous is the observation that along with 'most everything else, the shelves are bare. The ripple effect of this virus business has devastated the supply chains in most every aspect/commodity.
                  Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post

Yes, the insanity over $$ is correct. But equally onerous is the observation that along with 'most everything else, the shelves are bare. The ripple effect of this virus business has devastated the supply chains in most every aspect/commodity.
                    I literally bought pine from a sawmill two weeks ago. They are anything but bare. The sawmill itself wasn't sawing any lumber because their stocks where full. I wonder if this pandemic isn't being used by lumber yards as a way to gauge people out of their money.

Where I live here in Ottawa,

I buy a 2x6 8 feet long in white cedar from a saw mill for 13 dollars... I looked up the price at home depot and a 2x6x10 is 14 dollars in construction grade SPF lumber...

If you drive an hour out of the city.... And I shouldn't be sharing the price I got at the sawmill... Because they don't advertise it... Let's just say that it cost less than a dollar a board foot for what ever you want in 16 feet lengths and if you don't mind planning it or having boards that are between 4 and 6 feet long then the price drops substantially.
                    beachburl likes this.
                    Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X