Dawn Powerwash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn Powerwash

I took the saw blade off the table saw as it wasn't cutting all that great to take out for sharpening. It was pretty dirty and I had an I wonder moment. I took it to the sink and sprayed it down with Dawn Ultra Platinum Powerwash, the spray they have been plugging on TV for the last 6 months or so. After 5 or 10 minutes I gave it a scrub with a nail brush, saw there was still some gunk on it and sprayed it again. After another 5 or 10 minutes it got another scrub, a hot water rinse followed with a quick dry with a towel. Nice and clean. It cuts better, although not quite like a freshly sharpened blade , so I'll hold off on taking it to the saw doctor for a while. The dish spray is easier on the skin than oven cleaners etc and it doesn't smell as bad either.

Pete
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dawn Powerwash

I use Simple Green much the same way, keeping the blade clean is just as important as keeping it sharp, and a lot easier.

Comment

Thank you for the Dawn review. I was seriously thinking of buying the power wash version just for this purpose.
      Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Bonus, it works on the greasy dishes too.

Pete

Comment

I use carb cleaner... It does have a good smell to it I don't mind it if I spray it outside of the shop
          Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
          Or like my page on Facebook
          Subscribe on Youtube
          This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post
            I took the saw blade off the table saw as it wasn't cutting all that great to take out for sharpening. It was pretty dirty and I had an I wonder moment. I took it to the sink and sprayed it down with Dawn Ultra Platinum Powerwash, the spray they have been plugging on TV for the last 6 months or so. After 5 or 10 minutes I gave it a scrub with a nail brush, saw there was still some gunk on it and sprayed it again. After another 5 or 10 minutes it got another scrub, a hot water rinse followed with a quick dry with a towel. Nice and clean. It cuts better, although not quite like a freshly sharpened blade , so I'll hold off on taking it to the saw doctor for a while. The dish spray is easier on the skin than oven cleaners etc and it doesn't smell as bad either.

Pete
            If you are saying your saw blade isn't cutting as well as a fresh blade, you perhaps should go to blade doctor now, before you end up with a big chip / chunk out of it, best cut is a sharp cut.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have to ask what on earth do you cut that makes your blade tips come apart if they dull? In 45 years of hobby woodworking I have yet to see that happen.

The blade before removing the gunk wasn't cutting clean but after is again, so it is no where needing a trip to a blade doctor. Every blade after the first cut starts to dull and continues to as you use it until you decide to get it sharpened. Since a clean blade cuts better than a dirty one it makes sense to do so regularly. Now I have a cleaner that is at hand all the time, doesn't damage the brazing bond like oven cleaner can, doesn't pollute like carb cleaner nor toxic to breathe and is almost cheap, so the blades will be cleaned more often. When the clean blade doesn't cut to my satisfaction then it will be taken for sharpening.

Pete
              Doug G likes this.

Comment

Working...
              X