Question about epoxy “River” table.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about epoxy “River” table.

My father in law is contemplating building an epoxy center “river” table for my sister in law... since we have no experience with epoxy, we are wondering if the epoxy bonds well enough/sturdy to the “live edges” without having to use additional bracing or fastners?

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Question about epoxy “River” table.

Originally posted by Phoenicks View Post
    My father in law is contemplating building an epoxy center “river” table for my sister in law... since we have no experience with epoxy, we are wondering if the epoxy bonds well enough/sturdy to the “live edges” without having to use additional bracing or fastners?

Thanks
    From your wording, I get the sense that you want to build a table top that has a live edge board on each side of a full thickness epoxy river and nothing below the epoxy to support it or to make a joint between the two live edge boards ... just the epoxy?

I don't have an answer. I'm just curious about how structural the epoxy strip is intended to be.

cheers

Comment

The epoxy will be structural enough to support the table, without any bracing underneath, assuming a few things: 1- You use an appropriate epoxy for your project, and mix it in proper ratios(ecopoxy has a few different epoxies for different applications, and seems to be well regarded), ansd 2- You provide a stable wooden surface for it to bond to. If you leave the bark on, then the joint is only as strong as the joint between the bark and the edge of the piece of wood(it will fail, trust me), so if your plan is to pour a table, I would recommend thoroughly scraping the bark off, to reveal a the actual edge of the sapwood. Epoxy is expensive, so it is worth doing some tests mixing, and pouring on smaller projects to ensure that you have it figured out before wasting 500$-1000$ on a full table pour.

Disclaimer: I do not pour epoxy tables, but a few of my colleagues have gotten into it, and these are discussions that came up as they were figuring it out. I use epoxy sparingly in my work only.

Simon
      woodguy7 and John Bartley like this.

Comment

Originally posted by TCustom Design View Post
        The epoxy will be structural enough to support the table, without any bracing underneath, assuming a few things: 1- You use an appropriate epoxy for your project, and mix it in proper ratios(ecopoxy has a few different epoxies for different applications, and seems to be well regarded), ansd 2- You provide a stable wooden surface for it to bond to. If you leave the bark on, then the joint is only as strong as the joint between the bark and the edge of the piece of wood(it will fail, trust me), so if your plan is to pour a table, I would recommend thoroughly scraping the bark off, to reveal a the actual edge of the sapwood. Epoxy is expensive, so it is worth doing some tests mixing, and pouring on smaller projects to ensure that you have it figured out before wasting 500$-1000$ on a full table pour.

Disclaimer: I do not pour epoxy tables, but a few of my colleagues have gotten into it, and these are discussions that came up as they were figuring it out. I use epoxy sparingly in my work only.

Simon
        The cost is my biggest problem with epoxy... I see A LOT of people doing the live edge thing and I just don't know if I would be able to actually profit from it. I would need to get a good supplier and do a lot of it I guess. The nice thing would be that I wouldn't need to straighten edges but the prep time is still pretty large.
        Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
        Or like my page on Facebook
        Subscribe on Youtube
        This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply guys. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks be to God there is still goodhearted people in the world.

Comment

There are a lot of them on this forum.
            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X