Need 6/4 walnut board planed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 6/4 walnut board planed.

Hi I am new to this site. I would like suggestions on where I can get a board of 6/4 walnut planed smooth. I am building some floating shelves and purchased the board at Century Lumber in Stouffville. They said they were back logged for weeks on their thickness planer. I live in downtown Toronto (Cabbagetown). Thanks John
    marpy p likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need 6/4 walnut board planed.

The place that you bought the lumber won't plane it???

Here's the thing John... I paid thousands for my planer and blades are not cheap and anybody that owns a planer and has been doing woodworking for any lenght of time will probably tell you the same thing. Blades are really easy to nick. Now I am ready to take on the risk on my own boards.

The issue with my is that a board can have anything in it. I have planed a board that had a bullet inside of it and domestic boards have anything from wires to bolts to entire close line pullies inside of them. I personally can't chance planning a board for somebody else.

And that is just my personal preference. I am sure that somebody on here will chance it. I just don't do things like that personally
    Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
    Or like my page on Facebook
    Subscribe on Youtube
    This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post
      The place that you bought the lumber won't plane it???

Here's the thing John... I paid thousands for my planer and blades are not cheap and anybody that owns a planer and has been doing woodworking for any lenght of time will probably tell you the same thing. Blades are really easy to nick. Now I am ready to take on the risk on my own boards.

The issue with my is that a board can have anything in it. I have planed a board that had a bullet inside of it and domestic boards have anything from wires to bolts to entire close line pullies inside of them. I personally can't chance planning a board for somebody else.

And that is just my personal preference. I am sure that somebody on here will chance it. I just don't do things like that personally
      I don’t think he is looking for somebody just to do it for him free of charge, ya blades are expensive but if he’s paying for planer service then I don’t see the problem, especially if he replaces the blades on the off chance you knick something.
      Most sawyers charge per blade when milling lumber so I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to work out a similar deal.

I would personally be willing to help you out but I’m a bit far for you to drive.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Redbull1989 View Post

I don’t think he is looking for somebody just to do it for him free of charge, ya blades are expensive but if he’s paying for planer service then I don’t see the problem, especially if he replaces the blades on the off chance you knick something.
        Most sawyers charge per blade when milling lumber so I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to work out a similar deal.

I would personally be willing to help you out but I’m a bit far for you to drive.

Colin
        If you want to take that chance with your equipment then go ahead.

I do not put my equipment at risk for jobs like this one. The risk for me is too high for the reward.
        Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
        Or like my page on Facebook
        Subscribe on Youtube
        This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Normally if someone doesn't want to do something that's asked on this forum (whether it's milling, ruckering or whatever) I'd expect them simply not to respond. Is it really necessary to state multiple times, with a detailed explanation, that you don't want to do it?
          jonnie27, big tim and 13 others like this.

Comment

John, check your PMs

Comment

To all that have responded;

1) I have an offer to plane the board.

2) Yes of course I would pay for the service.

3) In my past, I have been a Forester, a Lumber Trader and a Canoe builder - I know what I was asking and the real risk.
              That is why I stated where I bought the board and I stated they were back logged not unwilling.

4) Thank you to all that responded.

Happy woodworking,
              John

Comment

i have had a planer for over 30 years (its just a 12 inch delta) but I have planed a considerable amount of wood with it. - The chances of hitting metal are slim - happened to me once in 30 years and I just offset the blades till next sharpening. You can also have a good look at the board and a lot of the time, you will see any problems. You can also use a metal detector (stud finder) to check the board over. Bullets are usually made of lead (softer than a lot of wood I have planed) and so not sure why that would be a problem. For the next person that runs into this problem - there are sometimes other options depending on the straightness of the board and what you are using it for. If the board is relatively straight and you have a belt sander, you can just sand the surfaces smooth. Start with 60 or 80 grit and work your way up till you get a finish you are happy with. As you are just using it for a shelf, this method should be more than adequate.

I think the best option for someone that does not want to help the person out - simple don't answer.

Comment

John... glad you found someone to help you out. I have helped quite a few people with tasks like you require including planer and wide belt sander. This has allowed me to meet a lot of fellow woodworkers and gain the knowledge that they shared with me. A lot of people have helped me along the way and the least I can do is pay it forward. Hope you stay around as you have an interesting background.

Brian
                  If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

If things don't work out I'm in Willowdale with a 15 inch planer. Blades already have nicks, so no worries except extra sanding for you.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                      Hi I am new to this site. I would like suggestions on where I can get a board of 6/4 walnut planed smooth. I am building some floating shelves and purchased the board at Century Lumber in Stouffville. They said they were back logged for weeks on their thickness planer. I live in downtown Toronto (Cabbagetown). Thanks John
                      Hi, you’re going to need it jointed first, I have a 12 inch jointer and planer if you don’t get offers, I’m in Scarborough....Welcome to the forum......
                      Rod

Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                      X